FX for Qu16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions FX for Qu16

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tommy
    Tommy
    Participant

I am beginning to use some FX on my QU16. I am noticing though that there are only 2 FX engines on my screen. Glancing through the manual I am not seeing anything saying that the QU16 only has 2 FX engines. Did I miss something while looking through it? IS there a way to send FX 3 and FX 4 through an external FX processor and back into the mixer?

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

All the mixers Qu series have 4x FX engines, each with their own dedicated stereo return. They can be used as send-returns, channel-returns, or as inserts (individually configurable.) However, while the Qu24 and Qu32 (and Pac\SB) have a dedicated send for each FX engine when you want to use them as send-returns, the Qu16 only has dedicated sends for the first 2x FX engines (the blue FX1 and FX2 buttons above the Mix1 button on the RHS of the console.) In order to use FX3 and FX4 in a send-return configuration, you have to use another bus (anything from mix1-10 that you’re not already using for monitors etc.) To configure this you’d press the FX button next to the screen, select the relevant FX engine, and press the “Back Panel” button. Here you can change where that FX engine is sourcing its input signal.

Now re using an external FX processor: you need to run the output of the bus into the input of the external FX, then the output of the FX engine back into a spare channel (or 2, the stereo channels are useful for this.) The output sockets on the rear of the Qu16 are fixed, so pick a spare bus (eg mix9+10,) run cables from those XLR outs on the rear of the console to your FX processor, then the outputs of the FX processor to a spare pair of channels. Now sending channels to that FX unit is just the same as building any other mix: press the blue mix9+10 button on the RHS of the console and push the faders up. PS, ensure the mix9+10 master is up, the return channel is up in LR, and you’ve got the right pre/post settings for the channels feeding mix9+10.

If you’re using a dsnake you have more flexibility with output patching, but the process is pretty much the same.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Why would you want to send FX3 and FX4 to an external processor? If all you want to do is send a signal to an external FX processor just use a mix, just as cornelius78 outlines in his detailed description.

Profile photo of Alex_man
    Alex_man
    Participant

Hi guys, I was the same problem but thanks to you cornelius78 I make it possible. The problem now is that the signal returned from the compressor sounds in mono. Please exsists any solution to fix that. The knobs of channels of send and return are positioned left and right. Where can be the problem? Thank you in advance

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What you did exactly?
    Send something from mix to compressor and then?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hi guys, I was the same problem but thanks to you cornelius78 I make it possible. The problem now is that the signal returned from the compressor sounds in mono. Please exsists any solution to fix that. The knobs of channels of send and return are positioned left and right. Where can be the problem? Thank you in advance

I think I tried to answer that in your other post about the EQ and Comp.

Profile photo of RobMcL
    RobMcL
    Participant

I created a tutorial on the subject of FX3 and FX4 on a QU16

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I created a tutorial on the subject of FX3 and FX4 on a QU16

Nice job on the video.

Like you did in video talking about channel inserts when I’m setting up a new system install or upgrade where they are coming from an analog mixer to digital if it is possible I like to have their old analog mixer near by to make analog to digital mixer comparisons.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@robmcl

Thanks!, great video!
    A wee bit longish for my taste but not so long as to be boring or confusing. But far shorter than so many others that ramble with little content. I would still have preferred a good written description instead, which is rare these days, but still enjoyed the video and learned something useful.

Sound was so much better than typical utoob video and the picture was useful unlike so many where they block what they are talking about.

Do you have more videos about the Qu?
    Is there an index to help finding ones of interest to us ?

Profile photo of RobMcL
    RobMcL
    Participant

I’ve done several clips for the QU series…and more to come.
    On any youtube clip, just click the name of the creator/author to see their actual youtube page. Then click Videos…
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCepIavD0Gu54Vl68iuhroxA/videos

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@robmcl

thanks!
    Our A1 has been asking for videos. I will point him to these.
    I would prefer to see things written down but when that is non existent sometimes I am forced to look at videos.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Nice videos though I and many others prefer to use a LR main parametric EQ for
    system EQ/ ring out. Same general idea though you bump up a frequency band, narrow the width a little and slide it around till you hit the hot spot and then cut, may be even
    narrow the band with a bit more if you can.
    With the parametric EQ generally you end up using less eq to achieve the same result.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.