Fx control on fader

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Fx control on fader

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Coronos Coronos 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Voices
    Voices
    Participant

I have bought a SQ5 and want to have the FX of the mics to return through a fader so I am able to add more or less reverb from
    the main mix.
    I did manage to do this but it added reverb to all faders, not just the mics.
    How can I have only add fx to the mic channels?

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Sends on Fader (SOF) > FX1-4 mix buss > Push up on Mic channel(s) > return to main mix
    FX return 1-4 > mix in desired amount.

Profile photo of Voices
    Voices
    Participant

Hello Lightningman,

I tried to figure it out with your instructions.
    Already at the first line I am stuck.
    How do I turn on a SOF? I think I first need to select a mic channel, then go to FX, switch to the back panel where I see FX1Snd and FX1Rtn at the bottom of the screen, but how do I continue?

Would it be too much to ask to make a short video 🙂
    Or a more detailed instruction, this is all very new to me.

Thanks for you help,
    Peter

Profile photo of Voices
    Voices
    Participant

Here are 2 images I took from the current settings of the first mic channel

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

What you want to do is:

1. Switch to FX1 mix with the appropriate blue button.
    2. Bring up your mic channel faders in that mix to the desired level to send them to FX slot 1.
    3. Back in the LR mix, bring up the Fx1Rtn fader (I think it’s on layer 3 by default, but could be wrong) to the desired level to add the FX’s output to your main output. Again, set the level as desired.

It’s not clear how you’ve done it, but if it’s on every channel I’m wondering if you inserted the FX on your main mix?

Hope that helps!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

How about asking a friend to teach you basic concepts…

10 min and you are good to go

or watch the videos already available on Youtube

Profile photo of Voices
    Voices
    Participant

Thank you Peter, I found the FX Returns on layer C channel 45,46,47 & 48 and yes now I can control the levels with the faders.
    Ideally I would like to have all 4 effects combined on channel 16. Is that possible?

Steffen, I saw the Youtube video´s and unfortunately I don´t have a friend that knows this device.

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

I haven’t tried that myself, but what you probably want to do is chain the FX sends and returns:

Send your mics to FX 1
    Bring up Fx1Rtn in FX 2

Just keep stacking, finally bringing up FX4Rtn in the LR mix.

Or, you could avoid all that stacking, send your mics individually to each of the four FX mixes, then add the four returns to a DCA group on the LR to control them all together.

Or, if you need processing on the grouped effects, use one of the group mixes instead of a DCA.

Then just stick the DCA or group master fader wherever you want it, because hey digital!

Either one of those will give you the ability to control the dry/wet levels every step of the way.

And hey, I’m new to the SQ as well, it’s pretty straightforward but the manual definitely assumes you already know what you’re doing with a digital mixer in general. I hope they put out a more informative User’s Guide to supplement the existing reference. As for the videos, again: they seem more concerned with pointing out where to find things you know you’re looking for than training a beginner. They were fine for me, but I have some iLive and GLD experience.

At least I have the luxury of being able to mess with mine at home, without any pressure!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

May I ask the OP why you want or need to do this. The mechanisms are there to do this correctly according to existing and well established protocols we’ve been doing for 50yrs. Why make it harder unless you have a specific need.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@Voices

nothing to do with “that device”… basic concepts of mixing
    this will clarify some things

Profile photo of Coronos
    Coronos
    Participant

peterlanders has the correct answer:

“What you want to do is:

1. Switch to FX1 mix with the appropriate blue button.
    2. Bring up your mic channel faders in that mix to the desired level to send them to FX slot 1.
    3. Back in the LR mix, bring up the Fx1Rtn fader (I think it’s on layer 3 by default, but could be wrong) to the desired level to add the FX’s output to your main output. Again, set the level as desired.”

To put them all on one fader, assign the returns to an unused DCA, and add that DCA to your fader layer.

Personally, I would leave any instrument FX out and control them just with the default return faders (they would typically stay up most of the time anyway). Create a DCA for any vocal verbs (if more than one) and add it to your fader setup. If you use a vocal delay, add a copy of the delay return to your fader setup so you can control it separately.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.