Formatting disk on QU16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Formatting disk on QU16

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of coffee_king coffee_king 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Formatted a disk on the QU16 to enable multitrack playback and therefore “mixer rehearsal” time.

I plugged in a disk, started the format and it crept to 1% then 2%, so went and had tea.
    On my return it was at 99%, as it was another couple of hours later after the kids had gone to bed.
    As it was just before I went to bed – and in the morning.

I did a soft shutdown of the desk, and when it powered back up the disk was correctly formatted.

Has anyone else had the format hang?

Firmware 1.5

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about this.

Please could you send us an email at support@allen-heath.com with some more details such as the make/model/capacity of the drive and we can look into this for you.

Best Regards,
    Allen & Heath Product Support

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just for public update, it’s a seagate 1TB disk and on second format (as sensibly requested by A&H) it stalled at 100%.

I suggest that after the QuDrive light turns off at 99/100% a shutdown followed by a reboot is a sane course of action.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Bob is right, and I’ve had that happen with one drive I have, but since discovering the SanDisc Extreme 64G USB3 Flash drive, I won’t use anything else! No external power supply needed, quick and easy format, VERY fast transfer to my Macs, and you can carry two in a pocket. Forget about the bigger external drives from now on, since you will want to format it with each use anyway. No need for the hassle or the extra gigs. The 64G will record 6 hours of full multitrack, so anything else is simply a useless hassle (for me!).

PS – The Seagate 500G recommended has been discontinued, so I got a 1TB like yours, and had the same result. It was such a hassle I am using it for a backup of my laptop instead – just don’t trust it for a live recording… Get a 64G flash and you’ll be MUCH happier!

Lou

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi there
    A SanDisk Extreme 64G USB3 Flash drive isn’t mains powered but works with all the USB functions on this desk?
    Why are we being advised to use mains powered USB drives then?

Also does anyone know how to reply with previous QUOTES attached on this board? I cant see how to do it?

Thanks

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Mains powered if you use a disc, since the power output on the port will be too limited.

Sticks are historically not fast enough, but they are improving fast, and as they are also very low power they should be fine.

Also does anyone know how to reply with previous QUOTES attached on this board? I cant see how to do it?

If you copy the text in and highlight it then press the “/b-quote” button it does the above, no idea if it will work properly, but it looks likely.

Profile photo of timhum
    timhum
    Participant

The disc I use does not have a power input, just the usb. It works fine. It is a WD Elements 500 GB disc. I have a Sandisc Extreme 64GB to try when I have the time. I guess if your disc is capable of being powered it needs more than the usb can supply so use the supplied psu but if it does not and you use a listed OK one it will be fine

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just depends on the disc – some suck alot more power than others.

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

If you copy the text in and highlight it then press the “/b-quote” button it does the above, no idea if it will work properly, but it looks likely.

Hmm, we really could do with a proper “Reply with quote” option on these boards don’t you think?

And also a preview button.

I think the search is a little sucky too if I’m being honest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.