Foh or Mons first?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Foh or Mons first?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Is there a way in the QU24 to group all the Monitor Mixes such that you can adjust the overall stage monitor volume with a single fader. That would be very useful as you could get all the monitor mixes adjusted to each musicians taste relative to each other, then subtly and slowly (i.e.sneakily) reduce the overall mix volume. ..

Profile photo of millerthriller
    millerthriller
    Participant

This should work by assigning a DCA to the MIX channels that are used for monitoring …

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Can u explain how to do this Miller. Thanks

Profile photo of millerthriller
    millerthriller
    Participant

Refer to chapter 8.11 in the manual (p. 39ff in the reference guide to V1.7) …

Profile photo of deeps
    deeps
    Participant

I normally do FOH then monitors. To some extent FOH will spill onto stage so you dont need to turn up the monitors too high
    I use eaw microwedge 15 which gives very little feedback in my opinion.
    I always do a virtual sound check and from the aux sends to a DBX EQ31 GEQ and then to the amp/monitor. use the GEQ to get rid of the feedback

Profile photo of Hercules123
    Hercules123
    Participant

I run systems every week and I use my Ipad to start out. I first start with my 4-6 monitor mixes. I set everything mix on stage first because if I’m on a time crunch I can mix FOH on the fly. Gain, Monitor Volume, EQ for Monitors, then I can go out and mix mains. The luxury of having Unity gain with all my channels isn’t gonna happen. However I do start with the Vocals at Unity Gain and adjust the master volume accordingly. Then i add the instruments, usually bass gtr and drums first, then midrange instruments. Most of my mix is close to Unity Gain.
    By the end of the first song I usually have my FOH in good shape.
    I have a lot of gigs with minimul setup time & when you have multible bands through out the day and evening and you don’t have a separate monitor engineer this sequence works well for me.
    Good Luck and have fun!

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

I’m wondering if it make sense to send signal to stage monitor wedges with post-fader bus? I know that usually it is done with pre-fader bus so FOH and monitors are totally independent. However, when mixing FOH and monitor on one console, I found more and more they need to be related.

First of all, more than often musicians on stage are complaining they cannot hear some part of the band. If I set all the fader in the post-fader bus to 0, I can gave them a good foundational mix just like FOH. This sometimes is enough for them because when the band rehearse, a single speaker with good mix works for all of them.

Secondly, when an instrument needs to be adjusted in some part of the music, for example guitar solo, the monitors are automatically taken care. So I don’t have to go to each monitor bus and do the same. The moment will be gone If I do this with pre-fader bus. I found when a member took the lead in a part of the music, everybody follows him, so everybody needs to hear the lead more at that moment.

Last but not the least, I can always gave them more me or something using the +10 range of the fader/knob in the bus.

In this way, each monitor won’t have a chance to get into a very bad mix that is simply a miss. Will this work?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

This is not the way it is done and for many good reasons.

Musicians are not well served with a constantly changing mix. They want what they want and it should be stable. If anything needs to be changed, they’ll ask specifically. And really all they should be needing is their own voice and an instrument or two.

You’re over-thinking this and are on the wrong track, but you can try anything you want. But your musicians will not be happy.

Profile photo of Hercules123
    Hercules123
    Participant

Your asking for feed back city & something that’s not recommended. This can cause more headaches than you know. You will always have multiple mixes for live sound.
    Your stage volume could get out of control real quick.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Your musicians need to realise that that they don’t need to hear the whole mix – if they can play in time and in tune the monitor is doing its job.

They’ll want a bit more, but the basic is what’s needed.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to report back, I did try this last night on a 3-hour concert with a lot different people playing. It actually turned out to be very good. No body complained.

Because we have a lot of people swapping between songs, the individual instruments volume vary a lot. With post-fader, I don’t need to spend much time adjusting the monitors. I only need to focus on the FOH sound which I can hear, the monitors are automatically taken care of.

I guess sometime I just need think out of the box and try something new that may work the best for me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Thst’s quite a different situation from ‘normal’ though

I’d probably be wanting to dial in the gain to a known level – and still have PreFade monitors, but that’s not always the optimum workflow.

Actually I’d be *wanting* to have a soundcheck with each act before the concert, and save each one as a different scene, but that’s unlikely in my world.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.