FOH and Monitor mixer

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions FOH and Monitor mixer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of TimmyP TimmyP 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Reese
    Reese
    Participant

I have an SQ6 and a Soundcraft SI Expression. I am using the SQ6 for my front of house mix and would like to use the soundcraft mixer for the stage mix. Does anyone know whether the SQ6 is capable of connecting/talking to the soundcraft board?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Using Dante between the mixer would work though one of the mixers would be the master preamp and trim level.

I would consider an old fashioned analog splitter snake between the mixers, it going to work 100% of the time with no programing or patching set up.

Profile photo of Reese
    Reese
    Participant

Mike,

Can you tell me how you would set-up the analog splitter snake between the 2 mixers? I have no idea of how to set it up.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

A splitter snake is basically a lot of Y cables build into a box, on the “box is the input jack and then there are two snake cables coming out of it, one goes to your FOH and the other goes to the monitor mixer.

Some are a hard wired Y split others will add a pin 1 ground lift on one set of outputs
    other will use transformer isolation between outputs.
    I have a 24 channel splitter non transformer but with a Pin 1 lift switch on the snake tail going to the monitor system.
    Rarely have I ever needed to use the ground lift.

Something like this is what I’m talking about.
    https://cbicables.com/ear-splitters/

Profile photo of Terry
    Terry
    Participant

Reese, to expand on what Mike C said, if you have a stage box for the SQ, one side of the analog splitter would go into the stage box inputs and the other side would go directly to the SI Expression inputs. A friend has been using a similar setup for several years to run a GLD at FOH and Qu-32 at monitors.

I have about 3/4 of the pieces I need to build my own version of the CBI splitter, but currently don’t have many shows where it’s really needed. When finished, the splitter will be on the back side of same rack as my AR2412 with a short set of tails going to directly to the stage box and the “monitor” side on a pair of 56-pin EDAC connectors; I have several 16-pair cables with the other end of the EDAC already on them from previous projects.

Profile photo of TimmyP
    TimmyP
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.