FOH and Monitor Desking Shananigans

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions FOH and Monitor Desking Shananigans

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LeGingy
    LeGingy
    Participant

Curiosity got the better of me… hooked up 2 QU24 desks from my 2412 stagebox, one through Dsnake and one through monitor ethernets…… theres no error warnings or error LED flashes… surely this means the monitor desk is receiving some sort of information, it just doesnt know what to do with it………..

Maybe the groundwork is there to have a QU16/24/32 as a monitor desk seperate from the front of house desk…

Or am i being to hopeful??????

Profile photo of LeGingy
    LeGingy
    Participant

I’ll add the LED’s behaved as normal. as though the stagebox was talking to both desks………

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi LeGingy,

Unfortunately, the Qu series has no mechanism in place to clock from an external source, so although you may not get errors on the connection side, you will possibly get audio clicks, pops and noises.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

What would happen if you connected 2 qu’s together by usb? One sending out data as if multi track recording to a laptop and the other set to be receiving multitrack over usb? Wouldn’t they both just send and receive as if they’re attached to computers?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Computers will use a buffer to get around the different clocking problem………

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Maybe have 2 qu’s plugged into one computer with an app that forwards the data from the sending board to the receiving board. I would think this would work as long as the latency was kept to a minimum.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I doubt it could be kept low enough to be useful.

Also, a computer, which would need to be reasonably high spec, costs a lot more that a basic analogue splitter box would. I’ve made a 16Ch one almost entirely out parts from old analogue multicores, which were going to be being thrown out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.