First time on an Allen & Heath GLD-112… HELP!

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions First time on an Allen & Heath GLD-112… HELP!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cornelius78 cornelius78 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CHIP ROBERTS
    CHIP ROBERTS
    Participant

My experience on digital consoles are: Yamaha O1V96, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2, a little Yamaha LS9, and I little X32. I just joined the production team at my church last week. I got a call today that they need me to cover one of their locations this coming Sunday and I haven’t even had my hands on the console yet! The person that usually mixes can’t be there, so I’m on.

Good thing is I won’t have to set up the console from scratch. I won’t have to route anything. There’s crew that will have everything already set up. I will just show up and literally just mix.

QUESTION 1 – In easy to understand “Sesame Street language”, what buttons do I push and what knobs do I turn (for example) to bring up the keyboard in the keyboard player’s IEM mix?

QUESTION 2 – The rig is setup for aux fed subs. Would I use this same process to add or subtract an instrument from the aux fed subs?

I think I’ll be fine as long as I know how to do these two things.

If any of you think of anything else I’ll need to know or should know, please let me know in easy to understand “Sesame Street language”

Thanks everybody!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

1. Typically on the right bank is where AUX masters reside. There are 4 layers where they can be. I do Auxes in light blue but… Find the Aux labeled KEYIEM or something to that effect. Press its MIX button. Now on the other banks you are seeing that mix. Find the keyboard. You have 2 banks and 4 layers each it can be in. Turn that slider up. You have put more keys in the keys IEM.

2. Same with subs. Find the Aux mix labeled Subs on the right side. Press its mix button. Now you are looking at that mix. Find what you want for subs on the left side and adjust it. Same for any Aux mix. Go back to the LR mix for the house. You are welcomed to contact me directly if you wish.
    george@midcommav.com
    270-559-2475. If I don’t answer leave a message and I will call back. I don’t always answer numbers I don’t know. I will be in training at a church Sun on new QU32 but I can talk you through something if you get into trouble. Hope that helps.

CHIP ROBERTS
    Participant

Thank you GCumbee! I was worried I’d have to fumble through screens and menus. Thank for the phone number too! I really appreciate it Sir.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Glad to help. Anytime.

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Very helpful hints and a generous offer from George!

…Go back to the LR mix for the house.

This is THE MOST IMPORTANT tip!
    Don’t forget to get back there, otherwise you’ll mess up musician’ mixes without noticing when you proceed doing house sound.
    In the lower left side of the screen you will always find an icon with the name and color of the mix you’re currently working on. Don’t proceed until it reads “Main” again.
    i set up a soft key (#10) just for that. When I see it lit in red, I know I’m safe!

Go to: Setup/Control/SoftKeys/Soft10:
    Function:[Sel Mix PAFL Scene] Channel Type:[Main(L/R] Type:[SelMixPAFL] Scene:[No Scene] and press [Apply].

I recommend to download the GLD Editor software (mac or PC) from the A&H website, so you have a little time to become familiar with the surface. Maybe even better if someone could bring (or mail) the current church setup file to you, so you can already see EXACTLY what will expect you on Sunday.
    Once you’re comfortable with it, you will LOVE it!

If any more questions, I’m across the Atlantic (watching this forum) and be happy to assist as well…
    Good luck and have fun!
    🙂

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

…oh yes, Question2:
    YES, the same procedure as with monitor mixes.
    And check if the Aux master fader for that Sub channel is up and open…
    🙂
    Pit

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Download the editor and click on “processing” then “quick start”. Also, every page on the GLD has a yellow “?” in the bottom right which gives you the “instruction manual” for the contents of that particular screen.

The processing button takes you to the home page whenever you don’t have a channel or mix selected. To unselect something, just press the select button again. Similarly, to get out of an aux mix and back to mixing LR you can just press the mix button again for the mix you’re currently in, it’s blue light will go out and your faders will go back to the LR mix. As Pit Lenz points out, you can confirm which mix you’re in by looking at the bottom left of the screen.

Chris

CHIP ROBERTS
    Participant

Thanks Pit Lenz! Great tip!

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

If you’re familiar with mixing monitors on the x32, it might help to think of it like this:

Pressing the “MIX” button on a channel on the GLD is equivalent to selecting a channel and pressing the Sends-on-Faders button on the x32: the aux master faders now represent the “MIXed” channel’s send levels to those auxes: one channel to many mixes.

Pressing the “MIX” button on an aux master on the GLD is equivalent to selecting a mixbus and pressing the Sends-on-Faders button on the x32: the channel faders now represent the channels’ send levels to the “MIXed” Aux: many channels to one mix.

For your keyboard example you can do one of 2 things:

Find the keyboard channel, press the “Mix” button above it, find the Keyboard IEM master fader and raise it.

-or-

Find the Keyboard IEM master, press the “Mix” button above it, find the keyboard channel fader and raise it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.