First iPad dependent gig..

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions First iPad dependent gig..

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Well, that was like brain surgery should be:

Boring, in a good way.

No multicore, more audience space, move around to see what the guitars are playing…

Put a couple of elastic bands across the back, from one corner to the other, of the iPad as a cheap grip.

Android tablet with set list…

In ~6 hours I had two <.5 second connection glitches, both in the same place in the room.

Qu-You was used by 3 musicians (on in ears) – mostly during soundcheck/rehearsal.

Many interested parties…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I have my iPad in a minimal case which, when closed, puts it into “neutral” and saves battery. I’ve done outdoor multi-act gigs lasting 8 hours and have plenty battery life. I’m not actively mixing 100% of the time, so it’s closed and in low-power mode probably 30-40% of the time.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Gigs, and particularly sets, tend to be relatively short.
    I had a charging cable sat on a table (will generally be near the bar I anticipate) to return to every so often – it sat on charge between sets (although that was relatively short this time).

I need to get used to the iPad as a control surface (although a “fader case” would be an interesting accessory 😉 )

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

For me it’s all in how I set up my two custom layers. With the top layer added you have three screens, each with 8 channels, so no side-to-side swiping necessary. On a Qu-16 that makes it pretty fast to get around.

I have pretty thick calluses on my fingers, so I like to have a stylus along just in case as a touch screen sometimes is slow to sense my fingers.

Learning when to touch and when to tap has taken a while as has learning to select, then go off-axis to get finer resolution on adjustments.

Learning to use two hands or a stylus and one finger to do a “two-handed pinch” on the PEQ was a revelation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.