First gig with the QU-32 ….

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions First gig with the QU-32 ….

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of joel77 joel77 8 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

I’m heading out in the morning (Thursday) to set up for my first gig this weekend with the QU-32. 24 Sennheiser wireless systems, a couple of wired mics and canned music for a high school musical. In a gym, of course! lol Running through my EV ELX powered speakers (tops & subs).

I’ve run the system enough that I’m not worried about it, but am a bit nervous about the QU. I’m sure IT will do fine. Just hope I can keep my wits about me when something (and it ALWAYS does!!) comes up.

Wish me luck!!

Joel
    Studio 52

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If you run into an issue post quickly and we’ll help you. Good luck with your show.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Keep an eye on the layer and the mix selection.

I tend to try to always make a mix selection, and if I can leave my hand there then I do – it reminds me what’s going on (I don’t for LR, but I try to for other mixes)

Always keep an eye on the layer – that’s what catches me more than anything else.

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

Yep – always the layer. I’ve owned mine now for 2-1/2 years and it still catches me out sometimes.
    Also go over the routing/ set-up at home and become familiar with where everything is you may need so you can get to it quickly. I wrote out some notes covering the most common tasks I needed for my first few shows.
    Check that your pre’s and post’s are all how you want them to be and how to change them if necessary.
    Set up a scene based on what you already know to get some of the work done at home.
    Take a back up mixer just in case and if you don’t already use one, get yourself a sine wave UPS for just the mixer. I use mine every show without exception and it has saved me more than once. It will give you time to power down if anything goes wrong … i.e. power outage It will also allow you to save the settings which might not auto save in a power outage.

Oh…. And GOOD LUCK

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

Thank you guys! Much appreciated.

It was a very long and tiring day (15 hours, almost non-stop), but I have to say, I’m blown away by how easy the QU-32 is to use. I truly didn’t expect it to come together as easily as it did.

I had done my homework ahead of time. I spent several hours going through the manual and learning as much as I could without being at an actual gig. I’d set up everything I could think of for this show, so once I had the rig set up and sat down to the mixer, there wasn’t too much to change. I only had to consult the manual once. Have to say, I impressed myself! lol

Mixing on this desk is such a pleasure! Everything I need right there at my fingertips. Graphic EQ for FOH and both monitor mixes, compression on each channel. All these came in quite handy today. It really is a breeze!

I used the custom layer, so that saved me from having to switch layers. That’s one of the reasons I choose A & H QU. When I’m running sound at theatrical/musical type gigs where I have characters on and off stage almost constantly, I don’t have time to be switching layers. I assigned the first 24 faders to the 24 wireless systems, a couple of wired mics off stage to 25 and 26. 29 is DCA for all wireless mics, 31 is DCA for both monitor mixes and 32 was L/R for the music track source. Everything right there. Easy Peasy!!

Thanks to all of the members here who have contributed such great information! It helped me to choose this mixer AND helped me to prepare for my first gig with it.

Looking forward to rehearsal tomorrow (Friday) and shows on Saturday and Sunday.

And after all that, …. the best part about today, …… I picked up another gig!!

Joel
    Studio 52

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

Pictures from rehearsal with the new QU-32.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.