First gig with the new iPad pro

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions First gig with the new iPad pro

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hobsound
    hobsound
    Participant

Finally got to use my new iPad Pro last night at a club gig with my Qu-16.
    The club isn’t a big place so I did not need to use the Qu-App for mixing, so I made it a meter bridge.
    Very useful, and I like the fact I can see the gates and compressors working on each channel, which I miss on the Qu-series.
    My Soundcraft Si had that and I wish the Qu did.
    Anyway, iPad Pro was connected via wireless as was my iPad Air, just incase I needed to roam.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi,

You can see the gates and comps working on the QU’s screen, you don’t need the iPad to see that, although the iPad does make it easier to see. Like you, if I am FOH I will use the iPad in a similar fashion as well as mixing the whole show on it. I will sometimes set the desk up at the back of the stage and just work FOH with the iPad.

hobsound
    Participant

I guess what I meant was that on the Soundcraft, each channel strip has an indicator for the gate (open/closed) and the gain reduction for the compressor. so you don’t have to select the channel to see what is going on. A nice feature.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Rob,
    Holy Crap that iPad Pro is huge πŸ™‚

Very cool!
    Are they really $1,000.00?

My Mackie Master Fader app shows comp and gate action on all channels too. πŸ™‚

I see you have addressed an issue that has aggravated me for years.
    People sitting their drinks on my subs.
    Is that what I am seeing? A slanted plywood shell that sits on the subs?
    What did you do to keep them from moving?

Nice pic too!

hobsound
    Participant

Wow, you have a good eye!
    It drove me crazy the way some “patrons” thought my subs were drink holders.
    I had some signs on the last subs I had asking people not to put drinks there. You’d think I had written them in Farsi or something, hardly anyone paid attention. When I got my new subs (JBL PRX718XLF’s) last month I decided enough was enough.
    I got the idea from a fellow I occasionally work with whom made some cool slanted tops with black plastic tops and a piano hinge.
    I did my own design with PVC pipe as the frame and 1/8″ Masonite as the material (painted black).
    I did a very scientific experiment to see what the magic angle was that would make a half-filled bar glass slide off and there you have it.
    They are held in place because the speaker pole protrudes from them and keeps them from sliding off.
    Here is a better pic.
    And BTW, the iPad Pro was around $799, I got the WiFi version with 32GB memory.
    Had $150 Amazon credit so it wasn’t so painful.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

FANTASTIC Rob!
    Now I am going to make some for my subs too.
    I’ll post the pics here when I get em done πŸ™‚
    I just recentley put pole mount on my single 18″ subs that I built,
    and I realize that the pole keeps the thing from sliding off but I wondered about how badly it vibrates.
    When I built my subs I put the black Ozite on them, so I think I should be able to use a few strips of
    Velcro on the bottom and that should keep them in place.

The $64.00 question is… has anyone put their drink under it from behind? It looks like the back is open.
    Dan

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I am going to make mine with hinges so they can fold up, is that how yours are?

hobsound
    Participant

No hinges, they just sit on top of the subs in my trailer.
    And the backs are closed, as are most of the sides. I used the left over Masonite to enclose the sides, but the backs are totally closed.
    They didn’t seem to vibrate that much, at least at that gig, which wasn’t terribly loud.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Nice setup you got there! I plan on upgrading from the iPad Air 2 to the Pro. I like the idea of having a bigger screen.

Question on your subs. Do you feel the need to have two of them? The reason I ask is that I currently use one for clubs similar in size to the one in your photos. I am just wondering if an additional sub would be a significant improvement. Thoughts?

hobsound
    Participant

For me, since I’m using the crossover in the subs, having 2 of them is partially convenience (and they make better top stands than a tripod).
    Do I need 2 subs in a club this size? Probably not. I had them turned down pretty far, and the kick drum was still whacking people in the face.
    Still, I’d rather have the 2 of them with plenty of headroom as opposed to one of them cranking to get the low-end pushing.
    I have a single Mackie SRM1850 for the smaller gigs, and it does fine in most cases.
    But I do love these 718XLF’s, they go much lower and much louder.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

In the past I’ve put two subs on one side, tripod on the other. This creates a single source by coupling the subs together, and avoids creating two spaced coherent sources which can create interference patterns. People struggle to put drinks on the subs, too πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Thanks for the response. I have been contemplating the advantages of getting another sub. I must admit, aesthetically it does look better. The headroom makes sense too. I am fairly new to live gigging with my own gear. In your experience, at what point in terms of venue and audience size would one sub suffice over two subs?

hobsound
    Participant

Well, I’m sure there are other folks out there who have much deeper technical knowledge than I do, but I have been doing this for many years, so I think that counts for something.
    I’d say it depends on a few factors.
    Type of music you are amplifying: I do mostly rock bands, so kick drum and bass guitar are pretty important. If you can’t get the kick loud and punchy enough with a single sub, a second one might help.
    How big is the room? I do mostly clubs, 100-300 patrons. To get the room filled, I’d use 2 subs. And usually I can’t couple the subs side-by-side, because of space. So they need to be at either side of the “stage”.
    Some of the bands I do are pretty loud on stage, so getting enough oommmppph from the low-end requires more power than a single sub can provide (at least with my rig).
    Hope that helps.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

That does help Rob, thanks. I use my QU-16 a bit differently than how I imagine other folks do. In my area it’s a bit difficult to find good dedicated musicians to gig with. What I decided to do was record various local musicians in my studio. I take my Pro Tools tracks and dump them onto a flash drive into the QU. Sonically speaking It’s a lot better than a stereo “Karaoke style” track because I can mix, EQ, etc., all the instruments individually like I would with a live band. In fact it sounds very much like a live band. The downside of course is that I can improvise on a whim. I have to stick to the script. My current PA consists of two Yorkville NX55Ps’ and one NX720s sub. Live gigging as a solo performer and with my own PA is new to me so I need all the pointers I can get. Thanks again!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great idea about the drink stopper!

I’m running 2 iPads for Groups Matrixs and the other for EFX
    I can get Reaper working out of the USB B port as a meter bridge but it would be really good to be able to get a meter bridge out of the USB-B into another iPad.
    If anyone has any ideas?
    The camera adaptor will connect but I have no app ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.