Finding Mix Groups in MixPad

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Finding Mix Groups in MixPad

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of EricMcK
    EricMcK
    Participant

Hi,

My church recently installed an SQ-6 mixer, and I have the MixPad app on my iPad to control the mixer from other places in the room.

There’s only one thing I can’t figure out how to do, and that is to find where to adjust levels in Mix Groups 1, 2 and 3. I can adjust Main L/R, but also need to be able to adjust the three different floor monitor groups, which are Mixes 1, 2 and 3. If someone could help me figure out where to do that in the app, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

Eric

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I don’t understand why more and more people ask such simple things…

I repeat my mantra… read at least the Quick Start Guide or watch a YT video
    and the APP mirrors the desk in such basic function…

on the right side you have 17 buttons, each of them selects a mix

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hit the button bottom left to show the “standard” slayers, & select the one called “mix”.

Or just drop the ones you want into a custom layer.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

most utoob videos suck and are useless except to waste time
    the audio is too low to hear
    the people block what you need to see
    they take forever to get to the point
    so unless you are a brain dead idiot or a truly desperate masochist you would not watch a utoob video ever
    ditto for podcasts. it is far faster better easier cheaper to read a good document than to waste time on videos
    but most documents are not that good. catch 22?

quick start guides are too quick and dont answer the questions most folks have

what is needed is the total user guide which most people may not read either
    but OTOH they are usually short of the actual information that is needed too

why dont you just ignore such questions if they bother you so much

SteffenR
    Participant

why dont you just ignore such questions if they bother you so much

and why are you answering again and again…?

the problem the topic starter has, is that simple to solve
    there are so many possibilities to find the answer

it takes 1:25 to watch

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What Steffen said!!!

Yes the buttons on the right hand side of the app screen select mixes.

You select a mix/aux the channel faders become the mix/aux sends, they turn blue in that mode, the mix aux master is the right hand most fader.
    Keep in mind there are about half a dozen other ways to do the same thing.

On the SQ you can change the number of mixes/auxs and groups, one is traded for the other. In the APP go to the set up menu, mixer config, buss config.

What mixers have you used in the past?

Profile photo of EricMcK
    EricMcK
    Participant

the problem the topic starter has, is that simple to solve
    there are so many possibilities to find the answer

While I am so sorry to have upset you by asking for help, I would point out that the video you shared doesn’t answer my original question.

Mix groups have already been set up. By me, if you can believe it.

Once again, my question is how to access the mix groups in the iPad app. I can control L/R Main just fine, but am not sure how IN THE MOBILE APP to toggle to control Mixes 1, 2 or 3.

Thanks to those of you who provided helpful answers.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Mix groups have already been set up. By me, if you can believe it.

Once again, my question is how to access the mix groups in the iPad app. I can control L/R Main just fine, but am not sure how IN THE MOBILE APP to toggle to control Mixes 1, 2 or 3.

My response was about the iPad APP.
    You just tap the tab on the right hand side of the screen.

When you say “mix groups” are they a “mix/aux” or a “group” they are two different
    things.

For controlling stage monitors you want to use a prefade mix/aux not a group.

(I use mix and aux to describe the same thing by the way, the SQ uses the term aux other digital mixers call it a mix)

Profile photo of EricMcK
    EricMcK
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I have set up mixes. On the console, I get into them by selecting the blue Mix 1, Mix 2 or Mix 3 buttons below the Main L/R button toward the right end of the console. I suppose that makes them a mix/aux?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Attached are four pictures of the SQ APP two show the app in main LR mix mode, the other two show the app in the aux mix mode, at random I picked aux 4.
    Are those pictures what your APP look like.

Just tap the right side buttons to select the mode you want.

Who put this mixer in and set it up for your church and what was in place before?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SteffenR
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I have set up mixes. On the console, I get into them by selecting the blue Mix 1, Mix 2 or Mix 3 buttons below the Main L/R button toward the right end of the console. I suppose that makes them a mix/aux?

and it is the same in the APP except the color of the buttons
    Am I writing chinese?

Profile photo of EricMcK
    EricMcK
    Participant

Are those pictures what your APP look like.

Just tap the right side buttons to select the mode you want.

Hi Mike — yes, that’s what my MixPad app looks like. I didn’t understand before that Aux on the app is the same as Mix on the console.

This mixer replaced a Peavey FX-32, which would never have been the right choice for our very large, echo-y church sanctuary. Last year we hired a vendor to do some acoustic modeling and then install a decent, professional grade audio system as well as mitigate the fact that consonants were indistinguishable, while vowels bounced endlessly. The church was built in 1962, and went through several audio system replacements, each one promising to get it right. None did. Our vendor did a very thorough job of analyzing our space, and $90k later, all spoken words are clearly understood throughout the entire sanctuary. The SQ-6 was their recommendation for a board that could accomplish phase-timed delivery of sound to multiple channels simultaneously, or something like that. I’ve been very impressed with the mixer, and figured there had to be a way to access Mixes in the app.

The SQ-6 was also recommended because one of my criteria for a new board was the ability to control it remotely, such as when I’m sitting at the organ console and no sound tech is present. And even when our tech staff is in the booth, they can’t hear what the monitors sound like up in the choir loft where I am, and it’s much easier if I can make adjustments directly to that mix.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

You can change the mixpad setting (Under Setup) to display the mix name instead of Aux 1 to Aux Something.

Your problem is to understand the naming of things in the app. Since Mixbus, or Mix, is a more general name because a mixbus can be a Aux (pre or post fader auxiliary mix) or a Subgroup. That is the reason why it is named Mix on the device. But the App is a piece of software and can be more accurate and display not only mix but the type of the mixbus, aux or Grp, instead.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Glad the APP is making sense now.

A few thoughts…….
    A mixer analog or digital will not “fix” a room with poor acoustics, that falls more
    on a proper speaker system for the room and properly set up and processed.
    Did the installer do any acoustical treatment to the room?

This line sounds like a a lot of sales pitch….”The SQ-6 was their recommendation for a board that could accomplish phase-timed delivery of sound to multiple channels simultaneously”

The SQ series are great boards but I’m guessing they are talking about delay fill speakers being delayed to be in sync with the main system. That’s not exclusive to the SQ series at all just about any digital board mix outputs can be delayed.
    It could even be argued that in an install any fill speaker delay timing should be set in a system DSP so it can not easily be changed by someone getting into the board settings.

Again the SQ’s are great boards that are completely configurable, IO patching, fader and surface layout but that maybe a little over kill for your system with various operators.
    The QU series would have maybe been a better choice with a few less features but still capable of doing everything you need with a little less of a learning curve.

Profile photo of EricMcK
    EricMcK
    Participant

Many acoustical treatments were applied to the sanctuary — that resolved a great deal of the inherent problems with the room’s original design. And other equipment was added to achieve delivery of sound, including several pairs of main speakers throughout the room rather than only one pair at the front.

I recall thinking at the time that the SQ was probably a bit better than we needed, but I’ve always erred on the side of having more capacity for the future, even if we don’t know when that will be. The SQ-6 has recently become even more useful as we’re now shifting to broadcasting our worship services in this new era of self-quarantine and social distancing, so we’ve created new scenes that send audio out to a PC in certain groups.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.