Fibreace and monomode

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Fibreace and monomode

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of YvesG91 YvesG91 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of YvesG91
    YvesG91
    Participant

Hello,

Is it possible to order FibreACE cards in single mode ?

Regards,
    Yves

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Yves,

No, the fibreACE card is multimode only. Although it utilises standard SFP modules internally, we do not recommend replacing these, as we cannot guarantee performance nor reliability.

If you need to connect over single mode, you can consider the superMADI card which comes with external SFP slots and can certainly take single mode SFPs and fibre. It would give you access to the same 128×128 channels of audio, however you would need multiple fibre cables as the MADI standard can only support 32ch @96kHz or 64ch @48kHz for each link. The other disadvantage is that fibreACE can tunnel L3 network data (network bridge), superMADI cannot.

Profile photo of YvesG91
    YvesG91
    Participant

Ok !
    Thanks for answer 😉

Profile photo of YvesG91
    YvesG91
    Participant

SO, if I go through dante 64 or 128 cards, in order to switch into switches like luminex for example and single-mode fiber, can I still take advantage of the “DX” connections of the DM racks ?

And if I do not go through the rj45 slink or fiberace but only through dante cards, is the configuration of the patch easy or should I use dante controller?

Regards,
    Yves

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Yves,

Can you tell us more about your system requirement? Do you need single mode fibre between the Surface and MixRack, or between two dLive systems?
    dLive does not support Dante for the Surface to MixRack connection I’m afraid.
    The easiest way to run single mode between a Surface and MixRack would be to use external Cat to fibre Gigabit converters, there are many on the market from super affordable to military grade equipment.

Profile photo of YvesG91
    YvesG91
    Participant

Hello Nicola,

I am not trying to connect two systems, I am looking to connect only a DLive with a DM (and then a few DX if necessary…).

Today, we use CL consoles with rio en dante. We go through switches to pull the lines in fiber and not in RJ45.
    I have a dozen consoles, our stock of fiber and switch is common to audio, light & video, and we want it to stay that way.

Regards,
    Yves

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Yves,

Our transport protocols were designed as point-to-point Layer 2 connections. Use in Layer 3 or converged networks, even with dedicated VLANs, is known to be problematic. It’s been done, and discussed several times on this forum, but not something we can recommend or guarantee.

This article explains some of the reasons and limitations:
    https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403553378449-Audio-Networking-gigaACE-and-DX-networking-VLANs-and-fibre-optics

Profile photo of YvesG91
    YvesG91
    Participant

Ok.

And so with dante cards ?
    Can I use S3000 + MD32 via two dante cards for example ?

Regards,
    Yves

Profile photo of MJCElectronics
    MJCElectronics
    Participant

As Nic said earlier, you can’t use Dante to connect a surface to a mixrack. You also really can’t put that link over any kind of network that has anything else on it.
    Your solution to using single mode fibre is media converters and a dedicated fibre pair (or a single strand if you use bidirectional SFPs) from mixrack to surface.
    I use TP-Link MC220L converters with an SFP to match the fibre type. They work fine for GigaACE links and are cheap.
    My 12 strand fibre uses 4 strands for a redundant pair of GigaACE surface to mixrack links, another 4 for a pair of 10G network and 4 spares.
    I’ll say it again, the link between surface and mixrack needs to be a point-to-point link over dedicated copper or fibre infrastructure and should not go through any kind of switch.
    The only exception to this is using a switch to extend the distance that copper can cover but in that case nothing else can be plugged into that switch and I would not recommend this solution anyway, dedicated fibre is the only answer for links over 100m.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

@mjcelectronics 4 pair of 10G and 4 spares?! Flex much? Totally unnecessary. And I love everything about it!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

dedicated fibre is the only answer for links over 100m.

I used a special CAT7 long run cable with 130 m with great success already.
    The network tunnel stops working, but the dLive system worked with no problems.
    But I wouldn’t recommend it for daily use.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@mjcelectronics
    What kind of plugs do you use on your fibers?

Profile photo of MJCElectronics
    MJCElectronics
    Participant

It’s Neutrik OoticalCON MTP X-TREME fibre, all 12 strands are in a single opticalCON advanced MTP connector.
    The chassis connector has a breakout fibre which is MTP to 6 standard duplex LC plugs.
    Not cheap but nothing worth having is.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I used a special CAT7 long run cable with 130 m with great success already.
    The network tunnel stops working, but the dLive system worked with no problems.
    But I wouldn’t recommend it for daily use.

That’s… kinda scary… I’m surprised they drop at different distances.

Profile photo of YvesG91
    YvesG91
    Participant

So,

i did this boxes, with media converter ! 😉

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.