Feeding signal to Avioms

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Feeding signal to Avioms

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of HR HR 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HR
    HR
    Participant

We recently installed an IDR48 with a T112 surface in our new building (church). We have a full set of Avioms from our portable days and installed the MMO card to feed them signal from the IDR48. We had hoped to use Direct Outs but then found out that the preamp gain and trim both impact the direct outs thereby causing changes to IEMs when the FOH engineer adjusts trim. How are others using iLive and Avioms with MMO cards? I see we can use Mix Inputs as sources but that would appear to pull signal before the preamp which would eliminate a preamp from in front of the Aviom. Not sure that will work but may try it. Other thought is to assign Mix Inputs to 16 of the IDR Outputs and put the Aviom AN16M back in play. Curious as to what others are doing.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

A preamp always has to be in the front end. Otherwise how is the signal first amplified. Preamp gain always affects IEM systems. An FOH person has to be conscious of that. It is always a bit of a tug of war between the person on stage with their mixer and the engineer.

Profile photo of HR
    HR
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. We were hoping the iLive Direct Out was only impacted by the gain and not the trim which would allow us to use gain to set Aviom channel levels and trim to adjust for the FOH engineer. MMO didn’t come with much instruction except to say it was an Aviom signal coming out. We wanted to replicate what we had before switching to the iLive which was stage control of the Aviom feed levels using the AN16iM independent of FOH which we fed from the AN16iM direct outs. Seems that can’t be done using the iLive direct outs. Will assigning a Mix-Rack Input to one of the IDR48 outputs give us a before preamp signal. If so, we should be able to use the preamps on the AN16iM for the Avioms. There is some concern about potential latency by creating two parallel digital packages.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I think you really need to look at where you are on the. I am not sure where the trims occur vs preamp gain. But you have to preamp a mic upwards to 60db. That has to happen at the front end. The Avioms don’t have mic pres to my knowledge. Only line level input from its input module or from the IDR as a digital signal. I have never used an IDR but think it is only that way.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

HR –

There are 8 global pick points for direct out on the inputs, the earliest is post preamp and pre everything else. You can use the trims, which are located with the PEQ of the channel without disturbing the Aviom signal. Find this under “Preferences”.

-Tim T
    Detonator Sound

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I can’t see the problem there- why would you need to do something with gains/trims after you’ve set your input levels? Leave it and forget.

ddff

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Just to clarify, Direct Outs can be sourced at different points in the signal path as Detonator says, but all of these are post digital trim. If you need to send signals that are only affected by the analogue preamp gain, you can select MixRack Inputs in the Outputs patch. This is typically recommended for a digital FoH/Mon split.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Nicola, et al., my bad – for some reason I have always thought the trim was with the EQ section. So, as they say, “never mind”…

-Tim T

Profile photo of HR
    HR
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. We solved the problem by assigning the same input to spare channels and then using the direct out of the spares to go to the MMO card for the Aviom signal. By leaving these channels set with Preamp on surface, and the original channels set to Trim on surface we were able to set the gains, which are tied to the input, sufficient to drive the Avioms and then use the trim to adjust FOH. As long as we don’t have to use much negative trim we seem to be OK. A side benefit of this is we now can set the direct out signal to come post everything which allows us to add processing the signal going to the Avioms. So far so good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.