Feedback question

Forums Forums ME Forums ME general discussions Feedback question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GSLC-Tech GSLC-Tech 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

We are going to be purchasing a GLD112 and some ME-1’s. Currently we have a GL3300. Our drummer had his floor wedge so load we asked him to try earbuds and I ran the monitor AUX feed to the stage. We got some feedback and that was the end of him using earbuds.

Sorry, greenhorn here with IEM’s … Is there the same potential using the ME-1’s? If not, could someone explain why not.

Thanks

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

Hi,

I can’t answer your specific question, although I can’t see why an me-1 would be any less or any more susceptible to feedback with iem’s.

However, I use iem’s a lot and have never experienced feedback.

Maybe he didn’t have a good seal into his ears?

What iem was he using?

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Hi Martin,

He was not using an IEM. Just did a little gender bending to get the Aux (monitor) feed from the board to the the stage and to his ear buds.

Rick

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Need more info as this does not sound logical. To get feedback he would have had to had extreme levels and near a mic. Only time I have ever had that problem was in studio when singer gets too close to a LD condenser mic. But still rare.

And as Martin said the PM choice would not make any difference.

Something not right here.

George
    Mid-America Communications A/V

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

AUX1 -> Amp -> Stage -> floor wedge
    AUX2 -> Split feed with a Wye.
    First feed -> Amp -> stage -> not plugged into floor wedge
    Second feed -> stage -> gender bender to ear buds
    AUX 3 -> Amp -> Stage -> floor wedge
    AUX 4 -> Amp -> Stage -> floor wedge

It was probably a case where a vocalist got their mic too close to one of the floor wedges AUX 4.

Does that help?

Profile photo of MartinW
    MartinW
    Participant

Hi Rick,

Iem == ear buds in terms of this thread!

So if I understand correctly, the drummer’s ear buds were on the same aux out as the floor monitors?

If that’s the case then almost certainly the feedback was from a floor monitor.

The beauty of the me1 is that each user has their own mixing desk and monitor output, whether it’s to ear buds or a floor monitor.

The me1 will drive earbuds direct. Great bit of kit.

It’s very unlikely that the in-ears will feed back, but your floor monitors may still feed back if the singers mic gets too close to the monitor.
    Hope that helps a bit

Cheers
    Martin

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

If I am reading the OP diagram correctly, Aux 2 is split for the drummer between a floor wedge and IEM system. Aux 2, Feed #1 is amplified but disconnected from the floor wedge (this means feedback at the drummer’s wedge is unlikely). Aux2, Feed #2 is sent to his/her IEM system, which should be isolated if earbuds are properly worn. Again, feedback would be very unlikely with earbuds.

If the feedback is originating elsewhere on stage (e.g. vocal mic), there is little you can do to remove it from just the drummer’s IEM. Obviously, the engineer can mute the auxiliary send level of the offending channel, but that is a last resort in most cases. My first concern is knowing what is causing the feedback and eliminating it. If you are primarily concerned with protecting your IEM users when feedback inevitably occurs (cause it will), then you have a few options.

First, I would insert a limiter on any aux send that feeds IEM users. This should protect them from spl spikes.
    Second, you can insert a GEQ into an aux send that tends to cause feedback (closest to the problematic input source).

As far as using ME1s, feedback can still be an issue if the drummer has the offending channel turned up in his/her mix. The one difference with the ME1 system is that your drummer can set a Mix Limiter (I think it’s 7.18 in the manual…double-check to be sure) for his/her ME1. A limiter will not eliminate feedback issues, but it should reduce hearing discomfort. Sometimes, simply giving a performer control of their mix (like with a ME1), they will feel more comfortable transitioning to IEMs.

I hope this is helpful. If you can let us know where the feedback is originating (channel/input source) and if the issue is isolated to IEMs or all monitors, we might be able to offer more useful suggestion. Best of luck!

As an aside: I can say that the GLD series offers a lot of great mixing tools to combat feedback and the ME1 is a great add-on. We highly recommend it. Let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Daniel
    Focal Audio & Design

Profile photo of caseymglass
    caseymglass
    Participant

To answer your question directly – yes, this can still happen with the ME-1 or any IEM system. If any input (mic) is part of a feedback loop all the monitors that are getting a send from that mic will also be hearing feedback. Feedback is a performer-technique and FOH-paying-attention problem, not a monitor problem per-se.

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Thanks for all the information. Knowing that the ME-1’s have a limiter was the key. Our vocalists have been trained to keep their mics away from the monitors, but no one is perfect. A lot of the folks in my band are a little older and need the volume up louder than I’d like so feedback can be more of issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.