feature request: copying source to another channel digitally

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions feature request: copying source to another channel digitally

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of f428
    f428
    Participant

Something I heard that the X32 has – duplicate the same source to another channel, say for parallel compression.

Is it possible?

Alternately, a % mix for the compressor, like you would commonly see on fx.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

did you end up actually buying a QU?

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I have used the Qu series on a couple calls, but primarily work with our GLD and iLive rigs. My understanding is that the Qu series is built for 1-to-1 (1 channel strip per input). You cannot feed multiple channel strips with the same source. GLD and iLive both allow you to reconfig your audio paths. They also have parallel compression built into each channel strip. It’s efficient and quite handy. Sorry that this does not solve your problem, but you might need to move up to a GLD for the feature set you are requesting.

Of course, it may be possible for A&H to add the parallel compression feature into the Qu series’ channel strip (if it isn’t already there). This would accomplish your goal and still keep the series 1-to-1.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

f428…

Either buy something or stop kicking the tires. The quibbling of a non-owner/user is tiresome to say the least.

Profile photo of f428
    f428
    Participant

dhak,

Nah, still considering and weighing the options.

dick rees,

I apologize, I didn’t know that research was outlawed in these forums. My purpose being so many question is to try and not repeat what I did 5 years ago. Looking back, I now realize all these features that I would find beneficial that I don’t have. Additionally, there are some aspects of my current console that just don’t work properly, so I’d like to avoid any of those issues if possible.

This is for personal use, so I can’t write it off and it is not tied to a business. Therefore, I am not making money from it and will live with it for the next 5 years or more. Instead, it’s for someone who records his own stuff and could be used on stage once in a blue moon.

I won’t ask any further questions.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

You should not feel discouraged in researching the pros/cons of this desk. We are members of the forum because we believe in A&H and their products… we’re also here to improve the product line and understand it better. For your research purposes, there are a lot of great youtube videos by users and A&H that cover the feature set of the desk. For more specific questions, there’s no harm in asking.

If I can make a suggestion, it might help if you consolidate your questions into a single thread and title it more accurately (e.g. “potential buyer with specific questions about the QU series”). In contrast, you titled this thread a “feature request,” which is misleading and may frustrate some users who have a bigger stake in the product line. We all have features we would like to see included in future firmware updates. Frankly, I would like to see the feature set of the GLD at a QU price…but that’s unreasonable if quality is still paramount. Current owners have more to gain/lose with firmware updates, so I resonate with the sentiment that feature requests are best reserved for product owners. That’s not a rule, but it might explain other comments in this thread.

I think the majority of forum members are happy to help.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

f428
    you’re welcome to private message me about the QU series of mixers.
    The growth level of digital mixers has been exponential this year.
    I don’t think you can really compare digital mixers from 2 years ago.
    And with PC or MAC driven mixers without actual surface control it will possibly all change again.

cheers
    daveNZ

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Dittos to what Focal said. We are glad to help. If you feel you want to private message a question that is fine also. If it is something I can’t answer there is probably someone who can. As a dealer I have both both GLD and QU demos.

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

Something I heard that the X32 has – duplicate the same source to another channel, say for parallel compression.

Not possible. But you can sacrifice a group to do parallel compression. I use the groups on mine for that purpose. The 4 DCA are fine for my other needs.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

428…

You can ask all the questions you want. I just fail to see the point of citing features available on other mixers and wondering why the Qu doesn’t have them. If you must have those features, the simple and obvious answer is to buy the mixer that HAS the features you need.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Dick, if you don’t like those posts just close the browser window. What’s your point? Did you really NOT understand the question? I’m sure nobody is interested in which questions you consider appropriate and which not.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I can see some value in having copied channels (although obviously the preamp settings would be shared)

The question is whether A&H think it would be enough use to enough people to warrant the coding and testing effort, and in what order wrt other features.

In my case it would allow the use of the same mic for both singing and speech without having to go mad with EQ and FX settings during changes

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

In my case it would allow the use of the same mic for both singing and speech without having to go mad with EQ and FX settings during changes

In the meantime, you could use scenes for that.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

While I encourage pre-purchase research (and I’m happy to answer questions), I still feel somewhat uncomfortable watching people buy a Qu, then complain it’s not got the feature set of a GLD..

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes, I could use scenes, but it seems a bit over the top to faff with scenes just to have a speech channel. A direct out on aux out looped to another channel would probably work (assuming I can do that to the Aux Out, I don’t know)

Sometimes the “simple” option really is best, and having a second fader comes pretty high on the “simple” list.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.