Fan Noise from Dante Card

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Fan Noise from Dante Card

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vanceg
    Vanceg
    Participant

Greetings SQ Community,
    One of the features I love about the SQ series is how darn silent the consoles are in terms of fan or transformer noise. Unlike the Yamaha production consoles or SD series Digico consoles I have here, my SQ is pretty darn silent when sitting in my studio. No fan noise, no transformer buzz to speak of. It’s delightul.

I recently installed the Dante I/O card and I’m noting that I can really hear the fan noise from this card. Yes, yes of COURSE it’s minimal and not at ALL noticable in a live sound environment. But it’s somewhat bothersome in the studio when using the SQ as a DAW controller. (I have to admit that it’s still a LOT quieter in the studio than the Digico. I recently demoed a Behriner Wing and it’s fan was pretty obnoxously lound in a silent studio environment – So I’m surely still happier with the SQ than I would be with a Wing… in many, many ways 😉

Has anyone attempted swapping the fan on the Dante expansion card out for a quieter fan? If so, how sucessful were you in reducing noise? Can you share what fan you selected?

Alternatively – If ayone else has the Dante expansion card and does NOT hear any noise from it at all – I’d love to know.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Maybe it’s just me but I hear the two fans in the board way more than I hear the fan on the Dante card. I have considered swapping out the fans in the board but at the end of the day, even in a control room, I guess I just find them objectionable enough. Not to say that tomorrow, I might not change my mind.

D.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

My Waves S1 server was the culprit in my control room. 100 ft of cat 6 cable and moving it to an adjacent room with a closed door cured the problem. All devices with a cooling fan will omit a certain amount of noise when heated up: however the subject server was at a totally higher unacceptable level.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Crispin
    Crispin
    Participant

I just finally received my SQ Dante card after a 6 month wait due to supply chain issues and, after dropping $1000 on it, am very disappointed at how loud it is. This is in a studio environment where we do recording, mixing, composition and sound design for games and it’s by far the loudest thing in the room.

Going to hit up support this week but given that I’m seeing posts about this dating back to 2019, it doesn’t sound like they consider it an issue.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I do not experience any fan noise with my Waves card.
    Hugh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.