Fading FX- return from surround (and other things)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Fading FX- return from surround (and other things)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stonepiano Stonepiano 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

I have a quad-system running. There are a couple of tunes, where I send delay return to rear speakers. I’ve not yet figured out a way to do it on one fader. Perhaps a custom-layer or group-setup of some kind? Haven’t had time to dig deeper into the possibilities.
    Scenario as follows: I need to bring delay in at certain parts of the tune, feeding only the return to rear. Feeding from mix out 9-10, post all. At the moment, the only way to fade out the rear is going to 9-10 master, but that leaves the effect running at the front, I’d need to have both front and rear fade the FX- return simultaneously. Any ideas?

Stonepiano
    Participant

Come to think of it- if I group mix 9-10 and delay return, it’s then all behind group faders, right? S**t, am I answering my own questions now or what? Production fatigue…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

DCA?
    It’s just the FX return – being fed to both? Can you not just make it a post fade send to the Rear and use the FX return fader?

Stonepiano
    Participant

The way it’s happening now is, that fading the return does not fade it from mix output, even though set post-all. The mix out, that is. But Ice dink grouping will solve this.

Stonepiano
    Participant

Steering clear from DCAs at this point, 24 not having dedicated master faders for them. Absent-minded engineer get confused, trying to find sumptin’ that’s not there. I have both stereo groups to spare, only 20 inputs, easily handled individually. So can dedicate a pair for this.

Stonepiano
    Participant

I realised, that mixes cannot be assigned to audio groups. Took the crude way out of my dilemma, and assigned the delay return+quad- outputs to a mute group. Not very elegant, because the delay would really have to be faded out… but I can live with this until I have the time to set up a DCA-fader on the customlayer, need to study the dca-functionality a little bit.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Not quite sure what you mean when you say it’s set to post all. Direct output setting?

On your delay return channel, select 9/10 and set this to post fade, then turn the send up – try 0dB to start and adjust as required later. Then select L/R. Adjusting the effect level here will now also adjust the level going to the mix out 9/10.

DCA could work here too, but seems a shame to use one up on a task that does not need it. However, it’s well worth reading up on them as the are a very useful tool.

Stonepiano
    Participant

I was looking for a solution in a wrong place. The transition from Yamaha-land has not been completely painless… learning A&H’s intricacies has been an interesting journey so far. Thanks once again, I would never realised that you need to turn up L/R- gain also. I am now experiencing great joy, watching the 9-10 signal-LED disappear as I fade the return.

Stonepiano
    Participant

As far as DCA’s go, never been a fan. They may serve many very well, but all I need on my one layer, would be all individual inputs, no matter how many, and two subgroups- one for drums minus bd & snr, and the other for backing vocals. If more groups available, maybe one for “The Band”, mainly the keyboard/horn-department. Very old school, I’m afraid. Never used DCA’s, even when they first appeared on analog consoles. I might find a use for them in a theatrical project but for live music, I just don’t need ’em. But I do like a shitload of compressors doing 2-3dBs, layered 😜

B.R.
    T.K.

Stonepiano
    Participant

And don’t get me wrong- I am happy to have gotten rid of them Y’s. The CLs are fine consoles, but everything between a PM and them was a glorious pain in the arse. Attending our local trade fair in a week from now, definitely want to touch DLive… and start begging for one, probably. OR a Roland 5000.

Stonepiano
    Participant

…and about the mix out being “post all”, I’m afraid I was terribly drunk at the time. I still cannot fathom how my rear speakers fade but followed Mark’s instructions, and they do. So many menus, so little time…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.