Faders jump when changing layer

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis troubleshooting Faders jump when changing layer

This topic contains 28 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rezonant rezonant 1 day, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DanVal32
    DanVal32
    Participant

Hello, our church has the Avantis and we are having the same fader issues but with 4 of our faders. We have done all the calibrations and the issues continue to happen. Does anyone know what else we can do to solve this problem? We have taken good care of the console and there shouldnt be a reason for it to start failing with under a year of use.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi All,

Motorised faders can present this behaviour due to either normal wear and tear or certain fault conditions. I cannot advise on individual cases in this thread, but if you have run the motor calibration and are still experiencing issues, please contact your dealer or A&H distributor who can advise on warranty status and repairs.

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

We have the same issue. Faders get stuck when changing layers. We have two faders (one on each bank) having the same problem. I just saw the issue happen with a third fader this past week. I have contacted support and they want to send off my console so that they could find the issue.

Profile photo of visitgec
    visitgec
    Participant

We have AVANTIS less than a year now. After the first upgrade to V 1.13 all faders motorization stopped working and faders stopped responding and adjusting volume levels. We contacted support and sent them all the info on the issue. Had to downgrade to V 1.11. The problem disappeared.
    Last 2 months having issues with 1 fader that keeps getting stuck, and when switching the layers, that stuck fader keeps adjusting the channel on every switched layer to the level where the fader is stuck.
    Had already couple incidents because of that during the service. Sometimes during the fader calibration process that faders won’t move at all or sometimes will start moving last. Sometimes after calibration it works fine just for couple minutes or sometimes it will work fine the whole service without problems. When putting that stuck fader in a gang with neighboring fader and adjusting the neighboring fader, the faulty fader linked through the ganging will follow but erratically with weird buzzing sound, until recalibrated. Calibration fixes the issue in 80%. Sometimes it won’t help. Sometimes rebooting the console fixes the issue.
    We upgraded to V 1.21 only 3 weeks ago, but that didn’t fix the stuck fader issue. Seems sometimes fader starts working if you slightly adjust it with a finger.
    Just recently got one more fader acting up. We have opened a claim while the console is still under warranty. It’s bit of a problem to send Avantis out for repairs, as we will need to use our old Soundcraft console as a substitute. The old one worked for 7 years with no problems.

Profile photo of philippe
    philippe
    Participant

Hi

i had few months ago the same kind of issue with a fader which was blocked.

i had my avantis been repaired.
    But yesterday the same problem appeared

(firmware V1.23, my console moved 3 times in her life, as i am working in a studio configuration)

philippe
    Participant

Calibration alignment and motors have been made many times.
    and i had the same results as visitgec (2 messages before)

please look at the video in the file attached
    (faders 8 to 12)

philippe
    Participant

video file with an allowed size

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of AntiochPHX-TD
    AntiochPHX-TD
    Participant

UPDATE to our issue:

We sent ours in to the distributer for repair. They replaced both fader boards and fixed a couple other smaller issues under warranty. Faders are all working smooth and consistent now. So our stuck faders were due to a component failure, it appears. Will update if that changes

Profile photo of halstein
    halstein
    Participant

Same problem with firmware v 1.24.

Only one fader (8) tho. Goes to unity gain by itself. Switching layer…still unity even that was NOT the level set. Switch to aux mixes…unity it is!

Rebooted mixer, and it seems fine – so far. Not done any fader calibration yet.

Profile photo of AntiochPHX-TD
    AntiochPHX-TD
    Participant

Update: Our faders have started sticking again. Will reach out to the Distro to see if there is a fix.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I know A&H is on their third version of the Avantis fader board. I don’t know how long long ago it was released, but when we replaced one of our boards about 9 months ago, it was a V2 board. We just received another board to replace the other fader bank and it is a V3 board.

Obviously we don’t know if the V3 board was released due to part availability issues or because it really did not solve the failure problem, but I tend to guess it is the later. Let’s all hope that the V3 board solves this issue once and for all. It’s getting a little expensive to replace these boards! (Our first board had to be changed out prior to A&H extending the warranty and the second board failed after the extended warranty lapsed).

Profile photo of rezonant
    rezonant
    Participant

I have a QU-24 that is experiencing odd fader issues.. ch 16 fader drops to -12 when changing mixes, on the GEQ in LR or any output mix, CH 16/1KHZ fader is pegged to +12db.. cant move it down as fader just jumps back up to +12.. a fader flip results in 1KHZ and 2.5KHZ fader getting pegged as well, try to pull 1KHZ down with rotary knob and it just jumps back to +12db.. I saved my scenes, did a hard reset and wiped it clean, updated from 1.97 to current Firmware 1.98… didn’t do a thing. After more research in this communities threads on fader issues, fader jumping, etc.. I think its the motorized fader.. ordered one A&H #A18649 Motorized Fader online for 30 bucks and am having it installed next week… i will keep all informed of the results of the install and if it solved the problems

Profile photo of Cdub718
    Cdub718
    Participant

I love the console but A&H definitely put garbage faders in the Avantis. IMO.

Profile photo of rezonant
    rezonant
    Participant

Ok here’s an update on prior conversation for my QU-24 fader problem.. After taking it apart, cleaning all the faders as best we could, and replacing ch16 fader, it all works as its supposed to now. That type of fader problem affected every layer it was associated with. GEQ in every mix, ch 16 input, major clipping on input, terrible noise because 1K was pegged on the GEQ’s… so the labor was 200.00 and the fader, purchased at Full Compass with tax and shipping was 44.00.. Total bill of 240.00

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.