Faders jump when changing layer

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis troubleshooting Faders jump when changing layer

This topic contains 28 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rezonant rezonant 2 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of AntiochPHX-TD
    AntiochPHX-TD
    Participant

We have an issue with our Avantis faders jumping to ~0dB when switching layers. Issue started while on firmware 1.12 and has persisted with an update to 1.13 build 69634. We are using in a Live/FOH House-of-Worship setting, so this is very frustrating for an instrument to suddenly get much louder than the rest of the band and it’s out of our control.

Profile photo of Me
    Me
    Participant

I am having the same issue with layers bringing fader settings to the next layer when changing between. Does not happen often enough to make it repeatable but still makes for a frustrating mix.

Profile photo of Riodigital
    Riodigital
    Participant

Hey guys,

We have 2 campuses with an Avantis at each location. We upgraded both to ver 1.13 as soon it came out in March. Last Thursday (6/16/22), one of them started to act up. One “Bus” fader is acting erratically every time we switch layers.

Has A & H addressed this issue? Is this a software bug or a hardware problem??

Please advise.

Regards,

AntiochPHX-TD
    Participant

I contacted A&H support about this, but when I went to get video, the stuck fader unstuck itself. So, I ran all of the fader calibrations and moved on. So far, so good. We must have had something stuck in there. Does anyone have good rec’s on fader cleaning protocols?

Riodigital
    Participant

Thanks for the update.

The fader in question in our console does it sporadically. There are sessions where it doesn’t do it.

We just upgraded to firmware to V1.20 and it still acts erratic sometimes.

I will perform fader calibration to see if problem disappears.

Thanks again,

Marcos Sebastian

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

I’ve noticed a similar issue since 1.2 but my faders generally got dragged down in volume because of it. Either all the way or half way.
    Frustrating stuff when you left PA matrix or main bus is suddenly at -12 or infinity.

A&H said it’s probably a hardware issue but I’m not sure since it happened on two different faders for me already.

Profile photo of Alan Anheath
    Alan Anheath
    Participant

I had the same issue with our faders jumping when switching layers. I did the calibration for fader motors and positions and that fixed it. No problem since the calibration.

Riodigital
    Participant

An update on our issue:

We upgraded to v1.2 and calibrated faders. No issues on that day.

For our next Sunday service, the same bus fader started to move by itself when switching layers. After that, it’s been 3 services without any issues.

With about 5 people reporting the same fader issues in this forum, I wonder if it’s a software bug, hardware problem or maybe debris in the fader. We cover our consoles right after use and eating / food is totally prohibited in the sound booth.

I truly hope this doesn’t become a greater issue down the road.

It would be great if AH can shed some light into this issue.

Regards,

Marcos Sebastian

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

Had the same thing happen to me this morning. Firmware version 1.2. It was unfortunately on the channel running fill music in our church sanctuary. I have the channel on two layers- one on the left side and one on the right. I had the right side on the layer with the fill music channel (around -20db) and when I switched to the layer on the left that also contains the music channel it suddenly jumped to 0db and blasted a room full of people. Even worse when I pulled it down it JUMPED BACK UP and continued to do 3 or 4 times. Fader (and sound level) kept jumping back up until I switched the left side to a layer that didn’t have the same channel. This has to be a software issue.

Riodigital
    Participant

Hi Dan,

Have you calibrated your faders?

Once I calibrated the faders in our affected console, the problem stopped. So far all is good.

Marcos Sebastian

AntiochPHX-TD
    Participant

Calibration seems to help, but we still get faders stuck periodically.

Is there any recommendation on cleaning faders? I still think this may be a contamination issue (and yes, we use the dust cover)

Profile photo of Florian Steppke
    Florian Steppke
    Participant

Any news on that issue? I have some sticky faders too. Thr big question is if that is a software or hardware related problem. I will send my console to a&h to fix the faders. That sudden value changes are not very funny.

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

I calibrated my faders 2 weeks ago and the issue happened again on Friday. That’s less than 10 hours of operation between fader calibration and the recurrence of the jumping fader issue. Again when the fader jumped we were unable to pull it back down without it jumping up again.

We keep a dust cover on our console between uses so I don’t think this is a debris issue.

Profile photo of ELIS
    ELIS
    Participant

All the strange behaviour of AllenandHeath mixers are caused by faulty motors or fader as a whole.
    There is nothing that can fix them.
    They will die one by one, in time.
    The solution is fader bank replacement-easy
    Or fader replacement. One fader costs about USD 30-50.

Profile photo of ofstreams
    ofstreams
    Participant

This is happening to my Avantis, current firmware, faders have been calibrated. The console has only been out on about a dozen shows, well cared for, indoors, case, no smoke, etc. This is starting to sound like a bigger issue, and I certainly hope that they don’t just tell me to go and pay to have it repaired.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.