External HD using SQ-Drive

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions External HD using SQ-Drive

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Soundman Soundman 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

I had several errors using a Lacie rugged HD (2TB) when recording a 16 track show last week on my new sq6. The recording sometimes just stopped after a minute or so with message that the writing had many errors and I just got I few complete songs.
    To try again I had to shut down the mixer and reboat because the recording screen just frooze when errors were detected. This went on the whole night back and fort, and I just got a few snips and bits of the show (the once I’ve got sounded great though when playing back)

I was using the bands own mixwizzard 16 2 for FOH (i need to test and trust the sq6 more daring to use in a live show). To be able to set up the mix and monitors for coming use etc and to do virtuel soundcheck I wanted to record the whole show. This done from MixW direct out into channels on the sq. Used balanced Klotz cables and pads on sq6 to get go right levels.

According to the manual and the info on a link given in the video on SQ-drive the choice of HD is important. I thought my Lacie would be perfect and before I erased and formated for sq6 I have been using it with my (now sold) qu24 and it worked perfectly.

It would be great to get some info from sq users doing multitrack recording via sq-drive. What HD you are using, brand, size etc thats been working perfect for you (I prefer an external HD and not a stick). has anyone experienced this error problem?
    In June the band is on tour and I want to use my new SQ as the FOH mixer and also record every night. From this (best of live) I will later mix and master a dbl cd and for streaming.
    Time pass and I really need some advice to get going, If the problem is only my external Lacie HD itself I need to get a new one that works right now!
    Appreciate any comments on this!
    Best,
    JC

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Hi again!
    Will the QU compability data base that list USB devices tested on QU mixers work as well for the SQ mixers?

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I think you need really fast (SSD) drive as SQ records at 24bit/96 kHz that produces twice the size files comparing to Qu, that records at 24bit/48 kHz.

Profile photo of Soundman
    Soundman
    Participant

Would really appreciate if A&H would create a form with the approved memory stats at least. I have tried a handful of flashdrives and USB hhds with no luck. With both 2 track and 16 track recordings with way too many errors.

SQ6 owner – Corporate, Festivals, Theatre events

Profile photo of Soundman
    Soundman
    Participant

UPDATE: I bought a Samsung BAR Plus 128GB – 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Titan Gray (MUF-128BE4/AM) to use for my SQ6 as well as updated to Firmware 1.3.2 after a 2 hr recording and 50 min second recording I only got 4 errors on the first recording, the second recording was flawless. These first 4 errors happened in the first 10 mins of the first recording, the rest of the files were flawless. Will use this drive for the weekend after Christmas on both a 5 piece rock band and 13 piece horn band and will report back with my findings. This is looking promising.

Link to flash drive : Samsung BAR Plus 128GB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.