External effects routing

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions External effects routing

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Drezzy
    Drezzy
    Participant

Hi,

I Googled “QU 32 external routing” and got this thread… good info… but how do you guys get around the delay and phasing when routing to external processors… for example, I tried using a QU stereo mix L/R pair out to a bus compressor, and brought it back to a stereo channel pair. But the compressor output comes back out of phase with the L/R mains. This defeats my goal of selectively choosing which channels to send to the comp. Am I missing a QU delay option or other feature? Please advise. Thanks!

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

It sounds as though whatever signal you are sending to the buss compressor is also being sent directly to the mains output too. Make sure you aren’t sending the desired signal to both the mix output feeding the compressor and the mains output. Only the return signal from the external buss compressor should be sent to your mains output.
    Is the compressor on the mix output not to your liking?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Additional delay is small, but phasing is possible.

Avoid having split paths for the same signal, that’s the best option.

On the 32 can you use a compressor on a group internally?

Profile photo of Drezzy
    Drezzy
    Participant

Got it… I had already moved the ext comp from mix to group before reading your replies. I’ll double-check my routing… the comp on the QU sounds very good on the individual channels, guess I should give it a chance on the bus too. “Resistance is futile!”

Thanks for advice guys!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

There is a lot of power and quality in the QU…

Profile photo of SoundGuyNate
    SoundGuyNate
    Participant

Yeah, lot’s of power and quality, just no de-esser. I did a search similar to Drezzy’s and found this forum. I realize it hasn’t been updated in nearly a year, but in case you guys are still around, here goes. To anyone’s knowledge, does firmware v. 1.9 have a de-esser anywhere in its FX library? I realize this is kind of a newbie question, but this console is relatively new to me. I’m a sound guy (and occasional guitar player) at my church, and our worship leader’s ess’s are getting pretty ridiculous, to the point where we can’t even EQ it out. Someone in the church, who knows a little bit about the issue, gave us an old analog vocal producer, and de-essing is one of the functions it can perform. Need to know: “airickess”‘s solution of: “It sounds as though whatever signal you are sending to the buss compressor is also being sent directly to the mains output too. Make sure you aren’t sending the desired signal to both the mix output feeding the compressor and the mains output. Only the return signal from the external buss compressor should be sent to your mains output.” – will this work for an external de-esser as well? And if so, how do you keep the signals you are routing to the de-esser from going to the mains also? Is there a simple way to do this? Or am I out of luck until A&H is able to work a de-esser into its Qu firmware?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Well, there’s still no De-Esser in the unit. And since it also does not have physical inserts per channel, you’ll need to burn an additional channel for such kind of channel processing.
    If this only affects a single channel and the mic is directly connected to the desk, I’d probably use an external mic preamp, plug that output into your external De-Esser and then into the Qu.
    Did you already try different mics? That _may_ make a difference if they have some kind of builtin emphasis in that critical frequency spot (like a SM58).

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

@SoundGuyNate – I agree with Andreas about switching mics – that can make a big difference.
    If your worship leader is wearing a headset mic then changes to the mic placement could help this issue – whether it be bending the mic out slightly from the wearer’s mouth or even moving it to the other side of the head. In addition, there are certain headset models that come with a variety of end caps for the mic elements that change the frequency response – I know that the Countryman E6 comes with a spare end cap that helps boost high-end frequency response – so that is worth investigating if the sybillance issue is due to a headset mic.

Profile photo of Tone
    Tone
    Participant

Good evening A&H Community I just recently brought my first digital mixer the QU-16. I use to in the box and so I still a little confused on how to connect my outboard compressor to my QU16. Please Help.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Tone:

Probably new thread time? 😉

Secondly – Have you tried the internal compressors? You might not need to use outboard gear at all…

Thirdly – same as any other outboard gear. For a single channel system you can run an external preamp and do the outboard gear in the analogue world before it hits the QU, for anything else you have to burn a mix and a channel.

Profile photo of Johnny C
    Johnny C
    Participant

I’m a new bee and just want to know the simplest way to hook up a external delay to my QPac , be great not to lose a mix output thanks

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’m a new bee and just want to know the simplest way to hook up a external delay to my QPac , be great not to lose a mix output thanks

You will need to use a mix out, remember you can switch the groups to be a mix.
    Also for an external FX unit you will need to return it to the mixer either using an input channel or one of the stereo line inputs.

The actual connections are not really any different then how it was done with analog boards and external FX or procession.

What are you trying to do that you can’t do with the internal delay FX?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.