External effects routing

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions External effects routing

This topic contains 26 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Hello A&H users,

I’d just like to ask a question regarding effects routing that I can’t quite work out with the manual…

I’d like to use some external effects (including a spring reverb, tape delay and tube compressor which is to be used a parallel compressor) in the same way as the internal FX.

Getting the 100% wet outputs from the external devices into the A&H is pretty straightforward, but I’m puzzled as to how I can best set up aux / FX sends to external devices… Or even if that’s at all possible!

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers, John

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

I THINK this can be done with the Matrix outs – not sure whether signals routed to the Matrix outputs disappear from the main L-R / AES out, though…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Matrix, group or mix routing to the analogue world.

You should be able to route stuff to both matrices and FOH independently

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Dear[XAP}Bob

Thank you for your help!

Great – that’s what I was hoping for… The option to run channels through the matrices as well as the main mix outputs at the same time. Awesome 🙂

Cheers, John

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Hmm, using the matrix outputs is probably the most complicated solution, I’d personally choose one of the mix outputs, either mono or stereo, depending on the external gear. Returning back to one of the stereo inputs or regular channels, as required.
    Did you check out the system block diagram? There you’ll see that mix and fx send are handled pretty similar with the only difference, that the mix sums have connectors attached…
    On the bigger consoles group outputs could be used as well, which always follows the channel fader (no need to set the mix routing to be post fader).

Profile photo of SONIX
    SONIX
    Participant

Thanks once again Andreas… Looking at the block diagram, I see what you mean!

I think routing to the mix outputs would work perfectly… As I was attempting to explain, I’d like to copy certain channels – which should also remain present on the total L-R output – to separate outs which can be sent to external processors for parallel processing and routed back via the three ‘layer 2’ stereo ins.

I’m ordering the QU 32, by the way, because of the high channel count and because it looks wonderful 🙂

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you’re not using the internal FX then it’s worth looking to see if the FX mixes can be selected for the Alt-Out TRS outputs, in which case you don’t even need to lose a mix output…

The QU16 block diagram I have pinned above my monitor isn’t overly clear on what constitutes a “Mix post”

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

There’s nothing special regarding pre/post on the Qu. Post setting picks the signal behind the channel fader and Pre before it. For FX gear this depends what you’ve connected. For “Add-on effects” like chorus or reverb type units you probably set it to post fader, so the FX volume follows the signal level.
    For FX where you do not want to hear the dry signal like pitch shifter, phaser etc, you’ll better pick the pre setting and turn the channel fader down.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

As one who owns more outboard gear than my first house cost I love them but I really don’t think the dig console makers had that in mind or they would have put inserts on channels or at least a few assignable inserts. I feel their thinking was/is that the internal FX are good enough for most live applications. For serious recording then..maybe.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, for “most” applications that’s probably ok, but there are still some specialities left which can’t be handled by standard onboard FX, like a D-Two multitap rhyhtm delay (which I personally really would miss) or a nice SPL Tube Vitalizer inserted into LR…
    Yes, assignable inserts, dedicated outboard FX routes and an insert right before LR dSnake sent would really be great, but with some creative routing this already now is possible, sacrificing some channels and mixes, of course…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Andreas – I meant that the “Mix post” label on the diagram isn’t clear whether it includes FX mixes – which would be pretty nice (and almost gets an extra monitor mix if desperately needed).
    IIRC the QU32 has 4 FX mixes which are each proper mixes (unlike the requirement to insert 2 of the FX units in the QU16) which potentially means some extra output…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I see, didn’t want to be super-clever, sorry. Just checked that only FX returns (and STx) could feed USB streaming, but neither FX nor ST could feed to the dSnake. So no extra monitors from these.
    …adding new feature request now… 😉

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

And the local Alt Out?
    I suspect not, but it could be useful for external FX units (or a cheeky additional mix ;))

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

AltOut/AesOut could be fed by LR/Mix/Matrix/Groups/PAFL. Not FX…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

OK – shame, FX Mix is otherwise quite similar.
    It’s whether you think of it as an FX mix or just an FX “something”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.