external analog gear with SQ-6

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions external analog gear with SQ-6

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Riker
    Riker
    Participant

Hello, my apologies for asking this question but I did search the forums but could not find anything specific to the SQ in terms of using external analog gear in the studio. I have an external 2 channel preamp and a stereo compressor that I would like to connect to my SQ-6 and record through in my DAW (Studio One 5). I understand that I can use XLR input and output to insert the compressor, but not sure how to use the preamp, bypassing the SQ-6 preamps, or how to gain stage “double preamps” if bypassing is not possible. I am also looking at purchasing 500 Series rack and units to use with my SQ-6, such as 2bus compressor, EQs etc.. I own an AB168 which I can use for inputs / outputs as well.
    Thank you very much !

Stephane

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For you mic preamp you could use the stereo inputs, they have less of internal preamp
    than the mic inputs.

Profile photo of Riker
    Riker
    Participant

Thank you for the suggestion, would that mean that I am going from Microphone Level out of the external preamp and into a Line Level input? I’m not sure that this would work in terms of signal / gain staging? I know the SQ is designed as a Live mixer first and foremost, but I use it as my studio interface with an AB168 stage box, so I have TONS of inputs and outputs, but I also want to use my external preamp (Focusrite ISA Two) and external compressor (ART Pro VLA II). But the SQ does not have 1/4″ INSERTS for external analog gear, only XLR mic preamps and 2 Line Level inputs for keyboards etc..

If there no way to do this.. that’s fine, I just need to know conclusively.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The Sq has pads available on all inputs so that should be able to handle most anything
    from your preamp.

As for your external comp you would need to patch that in using an analog output and input and route those as needed.

For keyboards use DI boxes and run them to the XLR inputs then you can use the line inputs for your preamp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.