Expert FX (Reverb EMT250)settings description

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Expert FX (Reverb EMT250)settings description

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of airickess airickess 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant

Well Hey Everyone…

I’m wondering if anyone could lay out some descriptive elements regarding the Expert settings for the EMT 250.(and even maybe some of the other Verbs)
    In my analogue setup I was using a Lexicon MX2200…the control options were fairly simple…it seems different unit manufacturers have different namers for their control functions and I’m not yet fully conversant with “In Depth” elements of Reverb effects.I’m familiar with Pre delay/Decay/Rev-time ie..basic settings

I think it would be super helpful to have a short paragraph or two describing each expert function with some examples of some usual settings..eg “On a high setting of echo 1 it it will have this(X) effect, Echo 2 will have this (y) effect…when blended this effect etc etc on through Diffusion etc etc…There might even be a descriptive manual available which would help but haven’t found one yet although I’ve seen a few words here and there in the forums…

I tried messing around with some expert settings and crashed headlong into a wall Lol…made a total dog’s dinner…

I’m basicly looking for simple Vocal or Drum reverb tweeks and would like to become a little more proficient and confident at tailoring Verbs to different sounding Voices or drums or acoustic guitars etc…Not looking for “Wild/Out-there space rock stuff just to be able to tailor tasty classic sounds.

Well thankyou all in advance for any and all help..I think it might be something that would be generally useful for folks who aren’t super advanced but would like to learn..

Happy QU-ing everyone!!!
    sharpie

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

It is a good practice to experiment and try thing on offline time – make a recording with Qu-drive, play it back through the channels and the reverb, and play with it a lot – it takes time to understand it. Lexicon has completely different terminogy for its controls.

I wish there was an offline editor for the Qu – I’d have to look at the EMT emunlation to reemeber the expert settings…

Profile photo of Ken
    Ken
    Participant

I did my first acoustic gig with the Qu-16 and my new EAW RL12’s last weekend and found the EMT 250 HF Vocal stock preset was perfect for what we were doing. I figured I’d have to go in and jack around with the expert settings but I didn’t have to. And, even if you did you might be messing with a pre-delay or reverb time setting…that’s probably it.

As mentioned, one thing you could do is run a dry vocal through a channel – you can download a wav/mp3 off the internet through a channel and then start playing with the settings to see what they do.

I’m very picky about reverb and was using a TC Electronics 4000 with my last setup and spent a good hour tweaking the preset that I used for vocals on that box. I literally used the preset out of the Qu-16 and liked it better than what I had been using out of the TCe (which was also a 250 emulation).

I’m betting you’ll have a similar experience.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Page 1 – Reflections – Source Diffusion, Size, Shape, Ref Detail.
    Dedicated to reflection control. Keep source diffusion and detail low to help intelligibility. Small sizes are not typical for live applications. ‘Shape’ is only available in the Plate model.

Page 2 – Echoes – Echo1, Echo1 level, Echo2, Echo2 level.
    Dedicated page for user defined echo reflections. You can insert main reflections to create Echo reverb sounds. Echo1 goes to left Echo 2 goes right. Echoes may be layered over the reverb.

Page 3 – Decay Texture – Body Diffusion, Tail diffusion, Mod depth, Mod speed.
    Separate body and tail diffusion controls can help prevent metallic decay through too much diffusion. Modulation depth and speed increase reverb density and add chorusing, effective on percussive program but not as useful on piano and vocal.

Page 4 – Decay Spectrum – LF decay, LF XOver, Colour, Colour Freq.
    Separate LF decay control with crossover frequency and decay time, useful for live work. Colour is a tuneable element in the decay. High Freq colour settings can enhance ambience, although it can sound metallic with some programme.

Page 5 – Reflection/decay level – Reflection level, decay level.
    These controls are dedicated to balancing reflection and decay to improve intelligibility.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Nicola, your post should be a sticky.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
    Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I will have had my QU-16 3 years come January 2017 and still I haven’t managed to dial in a reverb I actually like. Find them to be quite metallic sounding and unatural. On some of the larger PA jobs I do with a friend of mine we use his X32. That board seems to have one or two nice sounding reverbs, not sure what they are, but can’t complain.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Good to know!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.