Expanded QuDrive recording w/ AR84?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Expanded QuDrive recording w/ AR84?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Greg Greg 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

Hey, all,

I’ve been using the Qu16 and QuPac for quite a while now, and I’m loving the QuDrive feature for recording live shows. I’m considering adding an AR84 to add another 8 inputs so that I have enough inputs to fully mic a drum kit as well as everything else in the band…

I’m curious – will the AR84 input channels automatically start being recorded by QuDrive, or is QuDrive limited to the original 16 inputs on the QuPac?

Figured I’d check before pulling the trigger on the AR84.

Thanks for any info!
    Greg

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

QuDrive is recording stereo or 18 Tracks on any Qu (even on a Qu32/Pac/SB), so adding dSnake inputs does not increase number of tracks on QuDrive.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

But you can choose which 18 tracks – and that includes mixes (and groups on larger QU).

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

My recordings on Qu-16 + an AR box often go Kick, Snare, Mix 9, Mix 10. Mix 9+10 is a mix of the rest of the drum mics, which I balance during the sound check.

The other trick that I’ve used, when I have musicians who change instruments, is to send all of one person’s channels to a single Mix and record that, rather than have, for example, 6 string, 12 string, National, and whatever, all of separate channels. I can later duplicate that Mix for each instrument used, in my DAW, and treat each one separately if needed for the mixdown, meaning I only need to mute the ones not in use.

Profile photo of DanZ
    DanZ
    Participant

Or use the new MixTools PC program that can record 32 tracks 🙂

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Anything can pull 32 tracks from the USB port on the rear – but QuDrive doesn’t need a PC as well (part of the reason for my tongue in cheek comment about the RasPi)

The thing is that with a little creativity the 18 track limit needn’t be a major block

Profile photo of Greg
    Greg
    Participant

Cool – thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.