Exact Panning Values

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Exact Panning Values

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi guys and girls,

the mixpad app displays very nicely the value (from L37 over C to R37), when I turn the panning knob, where I just put an instrument in the stereo spectrum. i´d like to have same feature on the SQ itself, too. There is some free space right next to the panning indicator. Maybe that´s the right spot for it.

Cheers,
    André

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Gregg Grey
    Gregg Grey
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Andre

your suggestion is a good starting point but something similar should be applied to the “Sends” screen as well
    there are many “panners” available 😉

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

@SteffenR: Agreed!

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

By the way: Isn´t the panning resolution to coarse?

In Logic Pro there are 64 values left and 63 for right. And I think it´s the same on a Yamaha CL.

maybe @KeithJ can elaborate?

Cheers,
    And Happy New Year

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hey Andre,

I’m afraid I can only speculate as the resolution of the digital pan control was implemented a long time ago and the ±37 steps in SQ is the same as found on all of our other digital consoles.

As both Logic and Yamaha come from very MIDI heavy backgrounds and working with controllers, it makes sense to match resolution to a 7bit MIDI value (128 steps), whereas we would be more likely to be thinking about how accurate directional hearing is and what kind of resolution would be suitable to represent an analogue pan pot.

If you’re not able to position the sound where you’d like to using the 75 available steps, then please do post this as a separate feature request.
    To justify the work required to change it might be difficult though, as it’s not something we ever get comments/complaints about (this could be the first of course!).

Happy New Year to you too!
    Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

If you’re not able to position the sound where you’d like to using the 75 available steps, then please do post this as a separate feature request.
    To justify the work required to change it might be difficult though, as it’s not something we ever get comments/complaints about (this could be the first of course!).

The situation has changed I think…
    the last year brought up more studio-like work for us… streaming

Cubase and Nuendo have 100 steps in both directions, same on Studio One, Reaper and Davinci Resolve.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.