Ethercon replacement in AR2412

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Ethercon replacement in AR2412

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz Søren Steinmetz 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

I visited a church today to help them get their SQ6 and the new (used) AR2412 + AE84 up and run.

All went well, but after a while we lost the connection from the console to the AR2412.

After some test, change of network cables etc. , I ended up putting my own AR2412 on instead of the churches, and all worked flawlessly.

It seems like the Ethercon bot D-snake and Expander (unable to test the ME), are both worn out and the slightest movement of a connector can break the chain.

Now I wonder, in the older 2412 (the purple one), how hard is it to change the Ethercons ?

The people at the church are not yet decided if they should return this used box and order a brand new, or just get the Ethercon connectors replaced.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It may not be the actual connector it self but just a cracked solder connection
    where the connector connections connect to the circuit board.
    Never had my 2412’s opened up but touching up solder connections (if that is issue)
    is a quick fix for someone who is good with a soldering iron.

Some Ethercon connectors also have a small circuit board on the connector that could have a cracked solder connection.

Do the contact wires look straight in the connector? They may just be slightly bent.

Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

The contact wires looked fine.

But in case I get it on the workbench I might as well just swap the connectors for a fresh set then.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The contact wires looked fine.

But in case I get it on the workbench I might as well just swap the connectors for a fresh set then.

Kind of a yes no answer, if the connector is physically in good condition and you do find just a pin or two that has a bad/cracked solder connection I would go with just touching up the solder connections actually I would hit all of them on that connector with a quick solder reflow and give it a test.

There are a few mounting pin styles of the Ethercon, I’m not sure the style needed for an AR2412.

Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

I will wait and see what they want.

Got a call short ago, that they are talking about getting a completely new setup instead.

Thanks for the replies though, much appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.