Ethercon cable suggestions

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Ethercon cable suggestions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tourtelot tourtelot 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Soundave
    Soundave
    Participant

Can someone from Allen and Heath make a recommendation on the best ethercon cable to use for the SQ S-link and GX4816 stagebox connections? Either bought as a made product or components to make my own. This will be a permanent install of about 200′, but we’ll need the last 20′ or so to be able to move around a bit.
    THANKS

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
    Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Remember, it’s a digital signal. Don’t put too much thought (or money) into your decision. I use Cat5e shielded stranded network cable for my whole Dante rig (20+ devices) and use this on location as a portable system. I think I bought the cable on Amazon but any like it are available pretty much everywhere. Maybe Monoprice. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12724

I use good shielded connectors and solder the shield to the plug and then encase them in Neutrik Ethercon connectors. I have, literally, never had a cable failure. And if I do, off to Home Depot to buy more cable. Even unshielded will serve perfectly for a gig.

I do carry a “first aid kit” to every job with connectors and tools to terminate ethernet cable just in case. If you are doing a permanent install, you might use solid core (stranded rolls and coils much better but connectors, theoretically, stick to solid more securely) and maybe “riser rated” which might make the Fire Marshall more happy.

But really, it’s not rocket surgery.

D.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.