EQ knob resolution

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions EQ knob resolution

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of advance advance 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of advance
    advance
    Participant

The Frequency knob of the eq section has still a much smaller resolution than the touch and turn button with a frequency of an eq selected. That’s annoying and I still don’t understand why. Often I need to touch the console 3 times for adjusting just one eq band where one touch should do it.

Profile photo of OlivierM
    OlivierM
    Participant

+1
    I think it’s the same with the EQ gain knob.

Profile photo of belac9615
    belac9615
    Participant

+1 From me too. I rely on touch and turn way more often than I should because of this bug.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

fast turn… big steps
    slow turn … smaller steps

the difference could be clearer but the general idea is good already

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

As Steffen points out, the rotaries are geared to allow for finer adjustment when moving them slowly, though there is also a difference between the dedicated rotaries and the touchscreen rotary.
    This is so when making quick adjustments and not necessarily looking at the PEQ screen, the dedicated rotaries act more like analogue pots, going through the whole range of values with one turn (i.e. without removing your grip, re-gripping and re-turning).
    Then when you are selecting values on screen, you are more likely to want finer control, which is where the touchscreen rotary comes in.

So this is not a bug, but if enough engineers want to change this behaviour, we would look into how this could be improved without breaking the current behaviour which others might prefer.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of advance
    advance
    Participant

I´m aware of the “gearing” or “acceleration” of the knobs. that´s a good thing. I´m complainig about the impossiblity to get the smallest resolution of 1hz with the freq eq knob. You can turn that knob as slow as you want, it´s always going to jump at least 5 or 7hz. An analogue pot on an analogue eq never jumps form one value to another, it´s impossible. That´s what I don´t understand or what does not make sense to me. I would be very nice if the “ballistics” (or whatever that is called) of the knobs could be a little more progressive, so that they allow to do the very fine movements at the very slow end.

I personally would prefer very much all knobs with the same ballistics, also the touch and turn. I tend to get used to one style on one console. If there are different from one knob to another, I tend to overshoot things on the faster ones. To me it´s more confusing and time consuming.

SteffenR
    Participant

You can turn that knob as slow as you want, it´s always going to jump at least 5 or 7hz. An analogue pot on an analogue eq never jumps form one value to another, it´s impossible. That´s what I don´t understand or what does not make sense to me.

are you serious?
    an analog pot never reproduces the value saved on the preset… 😉

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

The steps are related to the frequency range you are working with. If you try to adjust in the range 20 Hz you can adjust the frquency in steps below one Hz. But you have to select the frquency field and use the data encoder. Don‘t know why but there are differences in the behaviors of the dedicated encoders, in this case the frequency encoder, and the generic data encoder. Nevertheless you can adjust the frequency with finer steps. But it makes no musical sense to adjust between 16345.67 Hz to 16345.68 Hz. In my opinion.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

FEATURE SUGGESTION

Add two buttons. Push one for fast gross change, the other for medium speed fine change, and both for slow very accurate change; when the knob is rotated.

SteffenR
    Participant

sorry, again you don’t understand what the guys are talking about
    two extra buttons would not speed up the workflow

to adjust the given behaviour would be the better way

SteffenR
    Participant

The steps are related to the frequency range you are working with

I guess they related to musical notes

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Add two buttons. Push one for fast gross change, the other for medium speed fine change, and both for slow very accurate change; when the knob is rotated.

Absolutely crazy idea, no wants to move their between two knobs.

Maybe if you want to have two resolutions of adjustment have a dual function knob.
    When it’s up normal scale resolution, push it down while turning puts it in fine
    resolution mode.

SteffenR
    Participant

guys… we talk about the SQ

one knob for frequency adjustments
    one knob for all possible adjustments after selection

there is no need for extra buttons
    just an adjustment of the resolutions
    as Keith pointed out already

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

and yet the comments say it would be so much better faster easier with those buttons

one knob to adjust
    two buttons, 4 options, to control the adjustment speed/resolution

@mikec

one hand on knob

two fingers of other hand adjusting speed/resolution
    no problem at all

far easier cheaper better easier to do it in software than with fancy gears in the knobs

Profile photo of advance
    advance
    Participant

Hm, I don’t support the idea of a fine resolution button press. Just to be clear of my intention in the first post:

Just one knob for frequency, the frequency knob of the eq. (same goes for gain and q-knob)

You turn it very slow – smallest possible resolution of the underlaying eq algorithm
    You turn it fast – bigger resolution, possible to sweep the range in one turn
    Very simple.

That would be my wish, and also the behaviour of most other consoles I work with.

(I jump back an forth from midas pros and allen heath sqs, not the same price class of course, but with a few little software tweaks, the sq would feel so much more professional to me.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.