EQ "jitter"

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting EQ "jitter"

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Soundave Soundave 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of stylos
    stylos
    Participant

i am getting a jitter when adjusting the gains on the channel EQs when using the dedicated rotary encoders. especially noticeable when trying to cut or boost quickly. the display shows the boost/cut happening (trying to happen) but keeps jittering back to the previous value. slow adjustment seems to be the only way to actually achieve the cut/boost required-however its often the case that i am trying to adjust the gains quickly in a live situation and its getting quite frustrating. i have resorted to adjusting EQs on ipad mixer as a work around to working quickly (does not replicate the problem) but would be nice to focus on either the desk or the app at once. anyone else experiencing the same problem?

SQ-5 + dx168
    firmware 1.21
    ipad running mixpad App

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Stylos,

I would recommend contacting your local distributor regarding this issue as it is possibly hardware related.

Would you be able to send a link to a video to support.allen-heath.com so I can see?

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

I Stylos,
    as Alex says it’s very likely and unfortunately a hardware problem, I’m also concerned by this issue (for now on 2 knobs : main parameters rotary and EQ gain knob) and I know at least one other person involved by this issue and issue was solved by a parts remplacement. šŸ˜‰
    Today my SQ is going back in repair.

Profile photo of stylos
    stylos
    Participant

Hi Guys,

thanks for the responses, it does appear to be specific to the EQ gain knob – if i select the gain for use with the main parameters rotary it functions as expected.

Alex @ A&H – i have taken a short video to demonstrate and will email the link to video once i have uploaded to youtube

thanks again for the help identifying the issue.

cheers

Profile photo of stylos
    stylos
    Participant

couldnt find an email address for A&H support so link is here.

cheers

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Stylos,

This does seem to be what I thought it was and I’m sorry to say it is almost definitely a hardware issue. Please contact your local distributor so that this can be fixed as soon as possible for you. You can find their details here: https://www.allen-heath.com/where-to-buy/

In future, if you ever need support for your SQ please start a ticket at support.allen-heath.com or email us directly at support@allen-heath.com

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Same problem here with the main parameter rotery, i presume that the rotary itselve needs replacemend.

Richard

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

While reading you I think there is a defective batch of knobs and that it appears on those which are handled often such as the Gain eq, main parameters…
    Let’s hope that all knobs on the same SQ will not fail as they are used. Otherwise it promises several returns for the same issue.
    Let’s stay tuned. šŸ™‚

Profile photo of Dizzy-Dale
    Dizzy-Dale
    Participant

Interesting. I’m having the same problem with about a half dozen knobs… Just hit them with some deoxit and will reassemble tomorrow. I’ll report back if cleaning the encoders works. šŸ™‚

Profile photo of Maxdrums
    Maxdrums
    Participant

Here the same issue

Profile photo of Dizzy-Dale
    Dizzy-Dale
    Participant

So, FYI:
    Cleaning out the encoders, and cleaning the contacts for the soft switches did fix my problem. However, I will warn, this is not an endeavor for the faint of heart. It is not just one or two boards that have to come out, its almost the entire board assemblies. Everything but the input board comes out, and then there are two “add on” boards (for what Im assuming is the 24, and the add ons are for the 32). The cleaning process is simple however, and after reassembling, the board works great!

Maxdrums
    Participant

Profile photo of TheMAXX
    TheMAXX
    Participant

Dizzy-Dale wrote

“Interesting. Iā€™m having the same problem with about a half dozen knobsā€¦ Just hit them with some deoxit and will reassemble tomorrow. Iā€™ll report back if cleaning the encoders works. šŸ™‚”

Which DeoxIT did you use?

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

I notice that the majority of people have problems with the knobs on the right side of the screen. These are probably the most used with the preamp knob but…
    If what Dizzy-Dale said remains valid in time (only cleaning needed), would the forced cooling airflow not bring dust in these potentiometers ?
    Personally my mixer is gone to be repaired (exchange of 2 knobs) to maintain the warranty…

Maxdrums
    Participant

Are you schure that cannot be fixed with a firmware update?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.