EQ each channel of each monitor mix?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions EQ each channel of each monitor mix?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi there
    Is it possible to EQ each channel of each monitor mix.
    So say I’m using Mix1 but I want some more top end on my vocals in my monitor, and perhaps remove some of the bottom end from the kick drum so I can hear things a bit clearer. Is this possible without effecting the front of house mix?

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Not really.

As I’m sure you’re aware, you can eq the monitor as a whole via its own peq and/or geq. You can take some low end out and add some treble, but doing so will effectively take the low end out of all the channels in that monitor, (not just the kick, eg your vocals could start sounding too thin,) and add treble to all the channels in that monitor, (not just the vox, eg your kick could sound too clicky.)

You could y-split your sources (in the case of the Qu, you need to do it before the preamps,) and use one channels 1-8 for FOH with their own dynamics and eq that suit FOH, and use ch9-16 for monitors, with different dynamics and eq settings. Obviously this halves your channel count, which may not be acceptable, depending on how many inputs you need.

Another option would be to set the mixes’ tap point to be pre-eq (or post preamp). Of course neither of these options allow you to apply a separate eq to a channel for monitors only, but it does mean your channel eqs will only affect FOH; your channel eq changes won’t be heard by the band.

Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Thanks for your advise.
    I doubt I’ll bother 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Looking back at past posts…
    Am I right in thinking using QU32 as FOH desk with monitor sends, the settings are “either OR?”
    Global pre-EQ or Post-EQ to mix sends?
    Unlike past Analoge GL desks (with recessed channels switches) where you can switch in an EQ that will affect just the one monitor if there is a problem?

I’m guessing there is going to be a line in the sand where the next level of desks (GLD etc)take over?

I have read every page of the manual and scoured the desk however I cant find a way to see how to change ‘just one channel’ to monitor mixes.

Thanks

look forward to any comments.

dave NZ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.