Elgato Stream Deck and SQ-7

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Elgato Stream Deck and SQ-7

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeneBean
    GeneBean
    Participant

Anyone using an Elgato Stream Deck to control things on their SQ?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hey @genebean,

Not generally, but have toyed with it using the same method described here – https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/using-stream-deck-with-dlive
    Sending MIDI messages as per the SQ’s MIDI protocol – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-MIDI-Protocol-Issue3.pdf

I’ve not really had companion (https://bitfocus.io/companion/) working with it yet though, so that might be the next thing to try…

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

@keithjah

I’d love to see someone write a Companion module. I’ve gotten a lot of use out of the X32 module.
    A&H website says:
    Documentation for the mixing systems, including specifications of the TCP/IP protocols can be found here:
    but that SQ link just wraps back to the SQ product page.
    3rd Party Control page
    Are the control protocols available?
    The available MIDI controls are quite limited.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

feel free to write a module by yourself
    the MIDI protocol is for control

nottooloud
    Participant

@steffenromeiss

Thanks for your insight and helpful advice.

I am not a programmer. I do know programmers who would write one if they didn’t have to reverse engineer the entire thing.

The MIDI protocol includes an extremely limited number of parameters. The TCP/IP protocols that MixPad uses include far more.

KeithJ A&H

@nottooloud

The 3rd party control drivers (Crestron, AMX, Extron, Neets) all make use of MIDI as this is our only public protocol.
    Proprietary network control protocols are not public however and also often change with major firmware revisions (hence why the app and firmware versions must match).

SQ MIDI’s protocol includes Level, Pan and Assignment for around 2000 parameter numbers (addresses), so about 6000 controls with high resolution control of levels (16384 steps). In addition, there is complete Mute, Soft Key and Scene control. There is also toggle options for switches, relative control options (e.g. ±1dB) and get methods to return the current value.
    Worth noting here is that the inclusion of Soft Key control in the protocol is to enable remote/automatic ‘by-proxy’ control of many more parameters.

Please put any requests for other MIDI control in the ‘feature suggestions’ area though so they can be discussed and considered for future updates.
    (I personally really hoped for MIDI Clock -> Global Tap but as it was not possible directly, I just use virtual Soft Key taps instead)

Cheers,
    Keith.

nottooloud
    Participant

@keithjah

I need to apologize. I had it in my head that you only had main level controls and input mutes, not each input’s send levels and assigns. I should be able to do what I need with MIDI.

KeithJ A&H

@nottooloud – you don’t need to apologise for anything!

Something you and everybody else playing with MIDI will definitely find useful – Alex has just created a super handy ‘message creator’ for SQ MIDI 🙂
    Details here ( https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/sq-midi-protocol/#post-97553 )

Cheers!
    Keith.

nottooloud
    Participant

That looks useful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.