Effects Routing Question

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Effects Routing Question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr. J Dr. J 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Hi guys – before I upgraded to the QU-32 – I Used an external TC Electronic M-One XL unit on my Presonus board. The M-One allowed me to use a Parallel/Serial Routing where I had Delay in engine 1 & Reverb in engine 2. By adjusting the engine 2 feed I was able to dump delay into the reverb allowing the repeats to be reverberated.

It was a seamless effect where you could hardly tell any delay was there…. Absolutely amazing sound to it….

Is there anyway to spill delay into a reverb on this console? I am so used to a “knob” world that pushing faders instead of turning things has my head all jacked up. Can I increase the effects return faders for a spillover effect?

Thoughts? Thank you!

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

You can set fx1 as delay and fx2 as reverb. Un-assign the fx1 return from lr. Run the fx1 return post fader into the fx2 send. Turn up the fx2 return in foh to hear the verb on your repeats. Works well for send-returns, but I don’t think they can daisy chain for inserts. Happy to be corrected.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply cornelius78….
    The other day you helped me to route my effects to my subgroup so that they could be compressed so right now my effects are not assigned to the LR Mains but to the subgroups…

So…. How do I run fx1 return post fader and make it go into the send of fx2?

I had trouble logging onto the forum a little while ago… Says I was logged in everywhere I went but once I got to the page where I wanted to post it said I wasn’t logged in…. .??

Anyways – I wanted to post exactly what the M-One XL Manual says about Parallel/Serial in case it wasn’t clear….
    “The Parallel/Serial routing is similar to the Dual input routing except for one thing: The Output of Engine 1 can be fed back into Engine 2’s Input. This enables you to for example: add reverb to the repeats of the delay”.

I hope this helps clarify anything…. Help when you can cornelius78.

Thanks!

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

***This setup uses the following assumptions, but it should be easy enough to tweak for your needs.***

1.) You don’t want the “dry delay” (the FX1 return) by itself in your final mix, instead you only want the “wet delay:” that is the delay+reverb: the repeats with verb on them.
    2.) The only thing you want reverb on is the repeats: you don’t want reverb on the other channels.
    3.) You currently have a vocal subgroup with the vocal channels and FX returns routed to it, and that subgroup is routed to LR. You do not have the vocal channels/fx returns routed directly to LR.

Access the LR mix.
    Access the top layer.
    Ensure that the LR master, vox group master, FX1 send master and FX2 send master are all turned up.
    Pull the FX1 and FX2 return faders down to -inf.

Access the vox group using the button on the RHS of the console.
    Un-assign the FX1 return from your vocal subgroup (press and hold assign, ensure FX1 Return’s Sel button is not illuminated. If it is illuminated, press it so that it dims.)

Access the FX2 mix.

Press and hold the assign button. Ensure that FX1 return’s Sel button is illuminated. If it isn’t, press it so that it is. This allows FX1’s (delay) output to feed FX2’s (reverb) input.
    Press and hold the pre-fade button on the LHS of the console. Ideally none of the Sel buttons will light up. This means that all the stereo channels and FX returns are feeding the presently accessed mix (FX2) post-fader. If they (particularly FX1 return’s Sel button) are lit up, this means they’re feeding FX2 pre-fader. Press the illuminated SEL buttons so they dim, changing the channels to feed the FX2 mix post-fader. Once you’ve confirmed that FX1 return is feeding the FX2 mix post-fader, you can release the Pre fade button.
    ^IIRC the above assignment and tap points are there by default, you’re just confirming them.

Raise the FX1 fader to unity.
    Change to the bottom layer and pull down any channel sends to -inf. As per assumption2 above, the only thing we want feeding this reverb engine is the FX1 return.

Access your FX1 mix.
    Push some vocal channels into the FX1 mix. Of course you won’t hear any change, as the FX1 return has been un-assigned from your subgroups and LR, but if you look at your meters page (as long as you’ve got signal on the vocal channels,) you should see the signal on the FX1 return.

Access the LR mix.
    Ensure you’ve accessed your LR mix: if you’re still mixing to FX1 the following will create a feedback loop, and that would be bad.
    Change to the top layer.
    Raise the FX1 return fader. The way things are set up, this fader is effectively the equivalent of the pot that controlled how much delay you were dumping into the reverb on your old M-One XL. The higher you raise this fader, the more of the delay FX you send to the reverb engine.
    Finally, to hear the repeats with their reverberation, raise the FX2 return.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Cornelius78 – you are the man! Thanks so much for taking the time to write this out! Very helpful & and I am catching on to the “assigning” method that A&H use for this board.

I am getting very close to replicating my external M-One unit. I am hearing a high pitch flutter in the A&H reverb which is distracting so I will dig thru the parameters to see if I can smooth it out or eliminate it.

While we are on the topic of effects chains and routing….. Do you have any suggestions where to place either Chorus or Doubler in this chain?

So far I have this for effects: Fx1 = Delay (spilling repeats into reverb input), Fx2= Reverb, Fx3= Chorus or Doubler (Can’t decide which I like better or if at all), Fx4= Snare Verb which I do like a lot. Also sounds good on Toms.

Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.