Effects Returns to Monitors

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Effects Returns to Monitors

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie WaihekeSoundie 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

A bit of a basic noob question here. What is the best way to send FX to monitors on the SQ5 when mixing both FOH and monitors from the same desk?

So let’s say VoxLead wants reverb in the FOH – I would set up reverb in say FX1 and send VoxLead signal post fader to FX1. I would then send FX1Return to FOH. If I pull VoxLead down in the FOH then the reverb goes down too. All good.

Let’s say that VoxLead, like many artists also wants some reverb in their monitor: Monitor1. One way would send FX1Return to Monitor1 as well. The problem with this is that whilst VoxLead is PreFader in Monitor1 their reverb on FX1Return in the monitor will vary with changes in the FOH level of VoxLead.

What else might you do- other than use seperate desks for FOH vs monitors?
    I guess I could use the patch window to spilt the signal at the input socket to another spare channel VoxLeadMon and send from that (post fader) to another FX instance (FX2) and return FX2 to the monitor instead of FX1?

Is this what people do?

Thank you

Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

For this to work you need to be able to view these sends and returns in the context of the monitors so you would create a layer with these sends and fx returns for the monitors that are not assigned to FOH (LR).
    I guess if the show is small you can duplicate all your channels this way to a seperate “monitor eng” layer or layers- The other advantage now is that EQ / compression etc can be different FOH vs monitors.
    Could be a good way to work… if a bit complex 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.