dyn8 – independent compression filters, per band

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions dyn8 – independent compression filters, per band

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ThatComplicatedMidiGuy ThatComplicatedMidiGuy 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

One thing I find myself missing a *lot* is the ability to *specifically* filter compression triggering, per band, on the dyn8. IE, you get split/wide; but say I’ve got a HF band I want to use as DeEss – I want to set a lower (5k-ish) crossover point for that hF band, but only want it to trigger @/above 7.5k or so, and *not* by anything above 10k, for some reason. I also maybe want to use the low-mid band to manage some proximity, or help deal with plosives on a lav in a funky position. In those types of scenarios, being able to more finely target individual band threshold triggers would be incredibly useful.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Isn’t that basically a job for the dynEQ part instead of the multiband compressor part of the Dyn8?

Sort of. The dynamic eq *kind* of does this, but you still can’t select a range of frequencies that aren’t tied to the selected center frequency. IE, I can set a high shelf with center freq of 6.8k, and the band will react to that. I *want* that 6.8k center freq for the rolloff properies, but I *don’t* want the band to trigger unless 8k+ freqs are detected.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

But still, wouldn’t be a dynEQ where the EQ parts frequency setting is separated from the detectors frequency setting be more suitable? I think this would be much easier to implement, because the devs probably only need to “unhook” that relation.

Possibly, but then you still don’t get a range of frequencies, a band within a band so to speak, to use for that threshold target. I think having just a very narrow selection, IE a single freq w/ no real q to speak of, will be much more difficult to use to achieve the desired behavior.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the suggestion makes it more difficult to setup the Dyn8

I disagree completely. Fab Filter ProMb solves this elegantly by giving you a toggle switch which either allows a selectable frequency range, *or* a trigger to be locked to the band, per band. Meaning, you can still operate basic mutliband functionality in its original format, but you *also* get the option to split band from trigger source, if desired.

If implemented similarly for the Dyn8, it would not change your workflow at all.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Of course this would have to be optional. Maybe hide it behind an “expert” button. But yes, at least a Q/bandwidth separated for detector and EQ would be helpful.

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

one option could be to duplicate the channel and use a filtered version as a side chain… depends on where the pick off point is in the signal chain though.

True, but then I’m burning 6x channels for a vocal section, and that still doesn’t give me band independence if I also want the low-mids to be differently filtered.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Ok, then 1, 2, 4 and 6band PEQs as insert objects (like Dyn8) and inserts for Dyn8 side chains? And while we’re at it those PEQs could of course be used directly as inserts AND inserts for gate and compressor side chain. Wouldn’t that be an innovative approach?

See, NOW you’re talking. That, right there, is actually my one gripe about the FF Pro MB – while you get band trigger independence, you are still locked to only one sidechain. Would be siiiiiiiiick to have a Multiband compressor with discrete sidechain inputs, per band.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.