DX168 VS GX4816

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions DX168 VS GX4816

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DaveH
    DaveH
    Participant

Hello!

I currently have an SQ6, along with two DX168 stage boxes.

I am considering upgrading to the Avantis, but was curious on if it would be beneficial to upgrade to the GX4816, or if I should continue to use my two DX168 boxes?

Is there an audible difference between the DX168 and GX4816? That would be the only reason I would upgrade boxes.

I understand that the GX4816 would allow an additional 16 input channels, but that isn’t really needed for my situation, as most of the local events and bands I provide for, require less that 32.

Now, with that being said, is there even much of an audible difference between the SQ and Avantis?

Thank you!

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi dave,

One little thing: be aware, that the network connection between 2 DX Stageboxes (in Daisy-Chain mode) will introduce some latency between them. This “can” be a noticeable, e.g. in some stereo Recording scenario, where 2 microphones are placed at exactly the same position like XY, or small AB an connect one of them to DX1 and the other to DX2. Then you can get a slightly move of the localisation, because of the delay time between the two mics.
    Greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

IMO there is no sonic improvement in the D-Live pres used in the DX168 expansion box and the actual pres that come with a D-Live. I am not aware of the precise pre amps the GX48 is fitted out with: however “Prime I/Os” are the only pres that offer sonic improvement and it is not very likely they would ever be part of a GX48 package. IMO a DX hub is advisable if more than one DX expansion box is used: there is no published data that I have found indicating latency issues when a DX hub is deployed.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Is there an audible difference between the DX168 and GX4816?

No, they sound the same. I use both, and sometimes use them together on the same gig.

The only real advantage outside of an obvious higher channel count would be the ability to use the ME personal mixers with the GX4816 since it has a port that can run them. That is not possible on the DX168.

Now, with that being said, is there even much of an audible difference between the SQ and Avantis?

Again No. I run dLive, Avantis, and SQ and they all sound fantastic. It would be very difficult to hear the difference between them, when run on the same high quality speaker system. There is however a noticeable difference over Qu or GLD, but it’s only a minor difference, as those also sound really good. The 96KHz units have that extra depth to them that is noticeable when compared to the earlier 48KHz consoles.

I choose to use the SQ5 on a lot of gigs simply because of its small and convenient form-factor.

Profile photo of DaveH
    DaveH
    Participant

Thank you all for the incredible information! Everyone helped me out a ton!

Profile photo of davfo
    davfo
    Participant

I hope you don’t mind me asking this question on this post.
    I hired my PA which included a gx4816 stage box which works 100% with my own sq6 and sq5.
    However the sound engineer wanted to use his own sq5. No problem , but, when he connected the cat5 the symbol in the top right corner showed it had connected , but the processing did not see gains or send phantom on a his scene.
    He said he had his dx168 in his van, and voila, using the same cat5, when we connected to his dx168 all worked.
    Can anyone shed any light on why this may have happened. I suspect it is a setting on the desk. ( I could be wrong )

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I am guessing that his SQ5 was upgrading/downgrading the firmware on your GX4816 and you didn’t give it enough time to finish.

Another possibility, is that yours is newer hardware with some component changes, and he could have been running an older non-compatible firmware version on his SQ.

Profile photo of davfo
    davfo
    Participant

Thanks again Scott for your reply.
    It turns out my clients SQ5 had not had updates for a few years so it must be that.

Profile photo of Zach
    Zach
    Participant

Did we ever get clarification on whether the pre-amps are the same between a DX168 and GX4816? Does the GX4816 come with the same dLive pre-amps? I see there is some speculation in this thread, but do we have facts/documentation from Allen & Heath?

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Keith clarified the DX pre question two months ago in response to my inquiry pursuant to the analog M-Ain 8 channel pre-amp banks for a DX32. “ALL DX & GX pres are D-Live pres: however the “PRIME” I/Os are uniquely designed to deliver a new world standard in detail and transparency. The improved performance comes with a 400% increase in price (D-Live pres $87.per channel vs Primes $350. per channel) Street price points verify the uniformity: a pair of Analog M-AIN pre 8 channel banks are $1,400. with an 8 channel bank of M-AOUT outputs @ $500 you are exactly at the $1,899 street price of a DX168.

Scott mentioned the primary advantage oF a GX4816: ME monitoring can be generated direct on stage thru the GX4816!
    Hugh

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.