DX012 Output routing

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis troubleshooting DX012 Output routing

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MKausN
    MKausN
    Participant

>> SETUP: Avantis SLink -> GX4816 -> DX012 (both switches on AES)

On the I/O page of SLINK, the DX012 always appears with only 16 output channels.
    In my case it is the channels: 65-80 – when it is connected to DX1 (or 97-112 if connected to DX2).

I was expecting 20 channels:
    4 analog + 8 stereo AES = 20 channels

And there are no names (eg. DX012) or status of switches (digital or analog) are displayed in the grid as well.

My urgent issue:
    The analog channels 1-4 (socket 1-4) have the same signal as the digital channels 1-4 (socket 5 and 6).
    It seems that I cannot route signals to 4 analog and 16 digital outputs at the same time.

Kind regards
    Michael

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

In aes mode the first xlr are analog 1-4 out. The fifth is 1-2 out but aes. The dx012 is max 16 outputs. It is also printed on the front.

Profile photo of MKausN
    MKausN
    Participant

@Showtime:
    Thank you for your quick replies.

You wrote that the DX012 has a maximum of 16 outputs – that means the behavior is correct?!

Are the channels in the Avantis limited to 16?
    Because in the entire description of DX012 (QuickGuide and advertising on the web) no restriction or shared use of the channels (analog / AES) is mentioned.

Each DX012 provides 12 XLR outputs, configurable as:
    12 analogue line outputs
    8 analogue line outputs + 4 stereo AES outputs
    4 analogue line outputs + 8 stereo AES outputs

12 XLR Outputs:
    1-4 Analogue Line Out
    5-8 Analogue Line out or AES Digital out (switchable)
    9-12 Analogue Line out or AES Digital out (switchable)

@Allen&Heath:
    Maybe someone from the support team can explain it.

kind regards
    Michael

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@Allen&Heath:
    Maybe someone from the support team can explain it.

really, on Sunday?

16 Outputs in total as Michael has written already
    it’s written on the device
    and in this guide

DX-GX System Guide

Profile photo of MKausN
    MKausN
    Participant

Hello Steffen,

in a forum, especially on Sundays, I don’t expect an immediate answer – from anyone. 😉
    Anyhow – Thank you for your quick and really helpful reply!

I found the information I needed in your linked document,
    and now I understand the DX system architecture much better.

On page 3 I found this information:

The DX012is a fixed format expander offering 12-16outputs(depending on configuration) in a 1u rack mountable format.

Sad but true:
    Unfortunately, I did not find this information in the instructions or advertisements for DX012 itselfs.
    There it gives the appearance that you can use 4 analog + 8 stereo AES outputs (=20 separate in total) at the same time.
    IMHO: As an A&H Newbie, like me, who is not so familiar with the to DX/GX system it is important to find a specific reference to it in the manual of the device you are using.

Conclusion:
    It’s not a HW or SW fault than I had initially suspected!
    Just a misunderstood from my side.

I need to buy a second DX012 to get a total of 2 analog and 8 stereo AES analog outputs. ;-);

So it’s not an “Avantis Trobleshooting” topic and it could be shifted to “Others”.

Thanks and kind regards
    Michael

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

A single dx device is 16×16 max

This is the dx012 dx168 dx164w

The dx32 is a double device.

Under the xlr outputs is the channel assegment writen for aes and above the xlr’s the assegmnent for analog.

So if both switches of the dx012 are on aes,
    the first four output’s are analog 1-4 and the xlr 5-6 are the same output in aes.

It is written on the device. It can be that hard to understand.

SteffenR
    Participant

it’s ok to keep in in trouble shooting
    if we shoot your inner trouble or something else doesn’t matter in this case 😀

SteffenR
    Participant

Unfortunately, I did not find this information in the instructions or advertisements for DX012 itselfs.
    There it gives the appearance that you can use 4 analog + 8 stereo AES outputs (=20 separate in total) at the same time.
    IMHO: As an A&H Newbie, like me, who is not so familiar with the to DX/GX system it is important to find a specific reference to it in the manual of the device you are using.

I believe someone from the support team will read this and will tell the documentation team your request

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.