Dual SQs with Sychronised Channel Naming?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Dual SQs with Sychronised Channel Naming?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PJ
    PJ
    Participant

Hi, looking to purchase SQ series to replace existing single mixer (Si Performer 3) which currently does FOH+Monitor+Broadcast mix all on one console …. 🙂

Looking at:
    1 x SQ FOH / Monitor mix
    1 x SQ Broadcast mix

SQ FOH connected to stage boxes over A&H proprietary link
    SQ Broadcast mix connected to SQ FOH via Dante (in dedicated studio elsewhere in building, can only be connected over standard Gbit Ethernet)

Question: Can the second SQ pick up channel names of the SQ doing FOH?

We have limited staff and ideally need everything to be sychronised (one mixer controls & sets gains for inputs, second mixer takes digital split and sees any changes to channel names/assignments on other mixer).

Thanks for any advice / best practises or alternative suggestions (other A&H mixers etc…)

Can also use digital split with DT Dante Stageboxes if this makes a difference…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

short answer, no
    and I’m not aware of any mixer that can handle this under $5000

an alternative could be a dLive system
    there you can do all your processing in one rack and connect two surfaces for two operators and you can add some Director control as well
    you can assign multiple roles to surfaces sharing one input base…

Profile photo of PJ
    PJ
    Participant

Thanks for quick response Steffen.

With Dante we could get some of this – use channel labels in DDM, but these aren’t “seen” inside the mixer (I assume).

What about Avantis?

The Si Performer is a great console but the App support is awful and it has no native support for MIDI control surfaces. Currently we use Mix Station running on tablets – this sees all the channel names etc…, but obviously its a software defined approach. Prefer hard faders…

Our budget is max $9000.

SteffenR
    Participant

the Avantis will be a bit over budget with a stage-box and Dante card

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I wonder if……

A possible work around would be saving a scene in the Mix Pad app, then recalling on the other desk, with all filters blocked except the relevant Name/Colour ones.

On a networked IT system with some shared storage, this should be easy I’d have thought – though it’s obviously not going to update any changes made later.

MarkPAman
    Participant

To add to that, if a soft key is set to “scene store” on main desk, can a softkey “scene recall” on the other load it from a shared folder immediately?

MarkPAman
    Participant

Thinking further – I’ve missed a step, so that soft key thing’s no use. But the first suggestion still stands,

Profile photo of PJ
    PJ
    Participant

Great suggestions – thanks. Also what about just using a DAW instead of the second mixer, with a MIDI control surface.

It looks like the DAW control driver allows you to get channel names from the SQ?

We don’t necessarily need the second mixer – its for Broadcast (Youtube) so latency isn’t an issue.

SteffenR
    Participant

It looks like the DAW control driver allows you to get channel names from the SQ?

I’m not sure, but I don’t think so
    you can label the ASIO channels but automatically use the channel names from the SQ?

maybe @Mkf0815 or @mikec can chime in and explain… one probably knows

SteffenR
    Participant

damn a typo
    @mfk0815

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I can’t help you much with this SQ set up question but I agree 100% that
    the Soundcraft Si series APP is just plain awful. The actual mixers have
    some Ok features but overall are way behind what else is available these days.

At least Soundcraft did take care of the issue were if the app lost connection
    to the mixer it would lock up the mixer surface 75% of the time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.