"Dual-patching" a single channel…?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions "Dual-patching" a single channel…?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jcarter jcarter 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of theLoksta
    theLoksta
    Participant

Hey all,

I’m using a GLD 80, and was wondering if I could take a single channel – i.e. wireless mic, input 43 on surface – and assign the same input to two different faders for two different “end users”?

For example, this would primarily be used as our Worship Leader’s mic, but may also be used as a speaking mic later on in the service. I understand that the preamp and gain settings would not be able to be changed, but I was hoping to have different EQ settings applied to each of the faders as well.

Sorry if this is too much of a noob question, we’ve only just had this desk installed and I’m still getting my head around it.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Yes, go to Processing > Preamp > Source Select > Input Socket > Socket #

You can have a dsnake socket feed as many channels of DSP as you like. When a socket feeds more than one channel, you’ll see any unused sockets grayed out or listed as I/O Port in the Routing menu.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

The (analog) preamp gain will be shared between the two channels in the split, but each has its own digital “trim” right after the analog-digital converter. So you can adjust that a little in one (or both) of your channels if needed to get faders and aux sends in the sweet spot.

Profile photo of Tofke78
    Tofke78
    Participant

What does that mean I/O Port? I saw that too when using my GLD80. Is that input socket no longer available? Some mics I split ON 2 channels. One to FOH and one to monitor (aux) to have the possiblity of separate EQing. But indeed the 2nd channel gets listed as I/O Port. I don’t quiet understand what that means. Somebody?

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

It’s helpful to distinguish between a “socket” (the connector, preamp, and A/D converter) and a “channel” (all the digital processing such as trim, PEQ, dynamics). I like to use the term “processing channel” to make it even clearer.

When you set up a monitor split (say, dSnake port 1 into channels 1 and 2), what happens is that channel 2 now gets its signal from socket 1 rather than socket 2. (One socket can go into many channels, but each channel only receives signal from one socket). So unless you’ve set up another processing channel somewhere else to receive signal from socket 2, it won’t be connected to any processing channels and shows up on the I/O map as “I/O port 2”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.