Dual PA setup with QU PAC

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Dual PA setup with QU PAC

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of debzdoodle debzdoodle 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I would like to give this a try at some point. By dual PA, I mean running vocals through one set of speakers and instruments through another allowing the use of 2 point source speakers each side without causing comb filtering issues.

I have set up vocal channels through a group – unassigned through L & R and everything else through L & R, and then I have assigned both L & R and that group to a DCA so I can use one main fader to control both. Group outputs from D snake.

However, although everything is working fine, I cannot work out how to get the FX to go to the group. So what I get is the dry vocal through the group and then the FX through L&R which is s bit weird but does work UNTIL I want to raise of lower the levels of the L&R fader or the group fader.

I am struggling to get my head around this – can anyone help me work this out if it is possible?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Insert fx return on the group?

Profile photo of JohnK
    JohnK
    Participant

The block diagram shows that FX Returns can be routed to a group.

I just checked the iPad Qu-Pad app … it looks like if I select the FX on the left side channel strip select tabset, and select a Grp or Mix tab on the right side mix tabset, I can now direct the FX returns to any of the groups or mixes.

I consider the above a somewhat confusing UI in two areas:
    1. It would be much more intuitive if Qu-Pad allowed to pull up a page of routing options from a pane focusing on a single channel. It appears that the Qu-Pac front touch screen allows you to do this.

2. On Qu-Pad when I selected the FX channel strip on the left, and the FX mix page on the right, I noticed that all FX Returns were turned on with fairly high (unity?) volume. Isn’t this setting you up for a feedback loop? I would think these connections would be turned off by default.

— John

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks guys…. I just realized that although I had the faders up for each effect on the group, I had not hit the little ‘on’ buttons – just did it and it works – yay!….. Now to work out how I can get those vocal effects to NOT come through the left and right ….

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Haha, by clicking that same button while in LR mode 🙂

Giga

debzdoodle
    Participant

Yes but that will affect all channels including instruments – no?

debzdoodle
    Participant

The only way I can see to do this:
    As I only really need reverb and delay on the shows where I would use dual PA, I could keep vocal FX’s to just those first 2 engines and set up the other 2 FX engines for instruments only – then of course the faders dictate how much of each FX is used for each instrument as usual.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Ah ! I thought you already had realized that, my bad….

Anyhow, you’re right; you’ll have to assign/ use separate fx for the main and second “PA”.

Giga

debzdoodle
    Participant

Thanks Giga and everyone…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.