"Dual mono" dynamics option on stereo groups

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions "Dual mono" dynamics option on stereo groups

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lposound
    lposound
    Participant

Hi all,

It would be nice to have a “dual mono” option for the dynamic sections of the (sub)groups (inserted “Dyn8” and channel compressor) so that we can, for example, enjoy Dave Rat’s mixing strategy.

Thanks,

Loïc

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Use two mono subgroups.

lposound
    Participant

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your proposal… but using two mono subgroups to create or reproduce a complex/subtle stereo image (= not only hard panned channels/sources) is a no go. Think about your solution applied to the LR bus and you’ll understand it wouldn’t work.

Best,

Loïc

Profile photo of andiabwaerts
    andiabwaerts
    Participant

if you think about it, all dave rat ever had, was mono groups.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Stereo is in live environments definitely overrated, and so is Daves mixing strategy too. 😉

lposound
    Participant

Hi Andreas,

That’s simply wrong.

If you stick to the Dave Rat reference I made, we’re talking about stereo subgroups capable of keeping the stereo image set in the channels section. Of course, trying to do that on a mixer that can’t handle it doesn’t help… but this is not the case here as Dave was using Midas Heritage 3000 consoles > Excerpts about subgroups and panning taken from the linked documentation: “… The Group Master busses themselves (see the flexibility section) may be configured as mono aux masters, stereo aux masters or post pan audio sub groups.” / “… The Pan defaults to control the channel placement within a group or master stereo mix and has a constant power law.”

I shouldn’t have referred to Dave Rat’s mixing strategy as it seems to bother you… but could you just focus on the topic of this dLive feature suggestion? dLive has both mono and/or stereo subgroups. By design, dLive maintains a channel panning in a stereo subgroup (not possible in a mono one). It would be great to have the ability to unlink the dynamics parameters of a stereo subgroup, point.

Best,

Loïc

lposound
    Participant

Hi Klaus,

Stereo is in live environments definitely overrated, and so is Daves mixing strategy too. 😉

Thanks for your constructive input…

As said above in reply to Andreas, I shouldn’t have referred to Dave Rat’s mixing strategy as it seems to bother you all! Maybe we can just stick to the dLive feature suggestion I made while avoiding personal views? 😉😉😉

Best,

Loïc

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Loïc,

That’s simply wrong

I think it’s a question of definition!
    A single Fader, controlling two different signal paths is a stereo group?
    -> H3000 has one Fader for one signal path… 😉
    So only Mono groups! 😉

However, back to topic:

Stereo is in live environments definitely overrated

The dual Mono function can also be used for streaming, broadcasting…
    Therefore, in some cases, it can be a good idea to unlink the dynamic processing.
    I’ll give it a try (by using 2 mono groups)
    Greetings, dd

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

If we think this feature request to the end, every processing of that stereo channels, input, mixbus, main or matrix should be able to be unlinked.

lposound
    Participant

Hi Klaus,

If we think this feature request to the end, every processing of that stereo channels, input, mixbus, main or matrix should be able to be unlinked.

Yes, indeed, good point!
    The stereo inputs already have a workaround thanks to the ganging of 2 mono channels.
    Likewise, the processing of the main bus is already completely dissociable thanks to the option of “Individual” channel strips (Mixrack > Config > Mixer Config).

Best,

Loïc

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Yeah, being able to unlink the processing of stereo (or 5.1, in the case of the master bus) busses and channels would be great. Frequently, I only really want something to be “stereo” to avoid setting up yet another gang. I know there are 16 of them, but the board can handle 64 stereo channels, so using gangs to fake it isn’t necessarily an option.

(More options for how to handle stereo in general would be nice… for instance, being able to pan stereo channels instead of just balancing them.)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.