DT Preamp Control Meters?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions DT Preamp Control Meters?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tourtelot tourtelot 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

I was planning on taking a minimal system out to do a recording; DT168, MacBook Pro with Reaper and DT Preamp Control, and a Focusrite AM2 headphone amp.

I saw early on that only my ears would tell me that I was overloading the input on the DT168 preamps. I am thinking that addition of some rudimentary meters or at least clip lights would make this rig even possible.

I am not seeing any other way that I could be certain enough of no overloads in it’s current form that I would ever use the DT Preamp Control on a job.

Thoughts from Keith and the others? Maybe no one is actually using the app and it doesn’t make sense to do any updates. I’ll just have to take my remote control Grace pres out I guess 🙂

D.

Profile photo of Dilettant
    Dilettant
    Participant

The Level LEDs on the Console Desk should show high load by alternating colors, if Signal is in another Layer that will be shown the same way, too. There is some Description in the Manual.

However, I definitely would appreciate to have an additional “Input” Metering Point on ADC post gain.

Those LED give no really precise Idea of how much headroom there is on the Input and any later metering point may be influenced by processing. Especially for self-mixing live situations where you often have to “guess” some gain levels because there was no way or time to get a max level reference signal out of the attached Instrument or Microphone this could be helpful.

I would also like to disable any peak hold timeout so I can check headroom on my recording after the take when working alone. While the take a musician wants to focus on the music, not on the mixing desk ;). A simple manual reset (by channel _and_ global, please!) is absolutely ok. I know most DAW can do that but when using the record to USB feature you simply have no DAW in use.

A maximum clipped frame count Display (per channel) would be luxury – it shows if clipping was just a small “accident” or if there was forgotten some PAD or a really badly adjusted Gain Control. When you are in a hurry, that may help setting priorities.

tourtelot
    Participant

No, you didn’t read my post. No console in the rig. Just the DT168 and a MBP running DT Preamp Control. No lights of any kind.

D.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

in your case the Reaper meters could do the job…

tourtelot
    Participant

Yes, of course!

D.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.