dSnake with Fiber Optic between Qu24 and AR84

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions dSnake with Fiber Optic between Qu24 and AR84

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SparkyAteOneToo SparkyAteOneToo 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SparkyAteOneToo
    SparkyAteOneToo
    Participant

My system has been the recipient of two lightning strikes and two repairs in two years.
    Since the lightning has taken out the Qu24 and AR84 both times, I suspect the 150′ copper
    Ethernet cable going between the two that runs along the inside of the church opposite
    the soffit as the potential culprit (or at least an enabler.)

I have found that there are Ethernet to fiber optic converters (probably normally used in a
    manufacturing environment) such that I could establish the following for the dSnake
    connection:
    Qu24 — Ether cable — Ether to fiber converter — fiber cable — fiber to Ether converter — Ether cable — AR84

Has anyone used this setup or am I on a fools errand?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@SparkyAteOneToo

Yes, this is possible and there are many users that we’ve heard from who’ve set this up successfully 🙂
    We cannot guarantee that you will be able to do this with all media convertors so would always recommend purchasing from somewhere that will allow returns.
    You can find more information on requirements in the following articles:
    https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403304180497-Audio-Networking-Can-I-run-dSNAKE-through-a-network-switch-
    https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403553378449-Audio-Networking-gigaACE-and-DX-networking-VLANs-and-fibre-optics
    (note that dSnake and DX are both layer 2 fast ethernet protocols. They have different channel count, sample rate and control messages, but have the same requirements for conversion/switches/fibre)

Thanks!
    Keith.

Profile photo of SparkyAteOneToo
    SparkyAteOneToo
    Participant

Thanks for the information, Keith!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.