DSnake over router

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions DSnake over router

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bis-Repetita Bis-Repetita 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bis-Repetita
    Bis-Repetita
    Participant

Hi all,

after reading lots of topics about it, I have question.

So, is it possible to link my Qu32 to my AR2412 via wifi?
    If yes, with wich materials : 2 routers?

I actually have a neatgear router ac1200 and a repeter wich is not good for i think.

Many thx, Laurent.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Theoretically the throughput on the faster (>100mbit/s) WiFi routers is high enough to handle dSnake traffic, but the latency and potential for packet loss is likely to cause problems unless you have a really solid connection and little interference from other devices.

Short answer: no, dSnake over WiFi is not going to work.

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

thx Ryan!

To control Qu32 through my router then wifi repeter with my tablet, it’s just perfect.
    I know I can have a range long enough from FOH to stage.

Even tried this, for Qu32 controlling -> rj45 -> CPL -> electric network -> CPL -> router -> wifi -> tablet -> works perfectly

But I just tried to send rj45 DSnake to my router, then repeter with rj45 to AR2412
    and even in the same room, nothing coming from DSnake port to AR2412.

So I also tried with CPL, nothing at all.

Anyone did ever tried to do this?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

No way at the moment will any system that’s not 100,000s of £$€¥ to send multi track audio over WiFi. Just not the bandwidth needed available.

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

OMG : number of channels x speed of each of them…for stream 🙂

Why did I tried to do this? I had a dream, but I’m awake now Mark. Many thx for giving me the light!

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

Mark, just an add : A&H says “…up to 100m over a single cat5 cable…”

So, max speed is 100MB, isn’t it? I think I can somewhere going through a wifi network
    wich can actually go to 200MB.

AR2412 Qu

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Bis-Repetita, the “100m” means 100 meters. They are talking about the length of the Cat5e cable.
    It has nothing to do with the speed of the network.

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

yes for sure :100m = 100 meters.

But look : they recommend cat5 (and not cat5E cable). This means 100MB/S at miximum speed.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

dSnake will use almost the entire 100Mb/s.

Theoretical max speed of WiFi is high enough, but that’s under ideal conditions. There might be part of the dSnake protocol that isn’t working with your router. 802.3 Ethernet packets as used for dSnake are different from the headers used for 802.11 packets, it’s possible your router is either ignoring or rewriting the headers of the raw Ethernet packets in a way that makes them no longer recognizable by the stagebox/mixer.

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

Guys, as I understand it, dSnake is A&H’s own protocol. IT DOES NOT USE ETHERNET. It uses Cat5 CABLES (which usually are used for ethernet but can be used for other things too).

So trying to push dSnake signals over wifi, through routers and through HomePlugs will not work because they are all based around ethernet which dSnake does not use.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

@robinhow dSnake does use Ethernet — their protocol is contained in the payload/data portion of Ethernet packets, so standard networking switches/routers can be used for transporting dSnake packets (with certain restrictions on routing algorithms used). Ethernet frame =/= WiFi frame, I’m not sure how a wireless router will handle a raw Ethernet packet without any of the IP headers as is the case with the dSnake protocol.

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

hi,

if we can’t just because of the protocol, that’s all, end of game 🙂

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

Thanks Ryan. I’ve learned something today!

I remember messaging A&H about the use of homeplugs and they said a definite no so I made an assumption.

Cheers

Bis-Repetita
    Participant

Stage box with cat5 cable is just great!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.