dsnake capabilities

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions dsnake capabilities

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cornelius78 cornelius78 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of chev
    chev
    Participant

Hi All
    Looking at getting both a GLD80 and 112 but just wondering about the stage box possibilities.
    So what are the actual channel capabilities of the dsnake protocol? can i use a 2412 with a 1608 in its expander port to make 40inputs, 20 outputs on stage down 1 cat 5? I’m assuming this is the case as the ME monitor channel count is 40?

Also is the expander port on the desk limited to 8 channels or could i again use either a 2412 or 1608?
    Would really appreciate someone clarifying this for me!

Thanks in Advance

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Yes to daisy-chaining an AR2412 + AB168 off the Dsnake port. IIRC the surface’s expander port can only take an AR84.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I dont own a GLD [yet] never say never

So are you saying that you can connect an AB168 from the AR2408 through Dsnake and “also an AR84 at the mixer [surface] to wicth that gives you 48 mic line channels?

cornelius78
    Participant

Yep. Have a look at p7-8 of the manual. It shows a variety of possible system setups, including GLD’s dsnake socket > AR2412 > AB168, GLD’s expander port > AR84. This gives you a total of 48x remote preamps, + the 4x local preamps + the local RCA line ins + the local USB 2-track. You’ve also got the card inputs (eg 64 channels of Dante,) for a total of 126 inputs. This setup also gives you 24x remote outputs, + the local XLR + RCA + SPDIF + AES\EBU + USB 2-track recorder outputs, and the expansion card outputs (eg 64 channels of Dante out.)

Although the GLD only allows you to mix 44x mono and 2x stereo inputs at once, the extra IO can be used as insert sends and returns for any outboard you want to insert across channels/mixes, and you can use the expansion card for inserts IO. Of course you can patch the same mix/DO to multiple outputs if you want.

You can also use the stageboxes as a routing matrix, eg you can route an input directly to an output, even if it’s not one of the 44m+2st that’s part of your current mix. Although you won’t have any processing or level control on the signal, you do get a polarity invert option on the output. I haven’t yet figured out how to get preamp control and +48v on preamps that aren’t part of the 44m+2st when trying to get them straight to another output. I have a feeling that a socket will need be be made part of the 44m+2st, preamp gain and +48v set, then it can be unassigned from the 44m+2st and it will retain its settings.

PS, with this setup you can also plug MEU/ME1s into the Monitor socket on the AR2412 and get your 40x personal monitor outputs, patched from where ever you want, even signals that aren’t part of the 44m+2st.

Profile photo of MattLW
    MattLW
    Participant

>I haven’t yet figured out how to get preamp control and +48v on preamps that aren’t part of the 44m+2st when trying to get them
    >straight to another output. I have a feeling that a socket will need be be made part of the 44m+2st, preamp gain and +48v set,
    >then it can be unassigned from the 44m+2st and it will retain its settings.

Have you tried connecting the ipad app, going from memory I believe that gives you access to all the channels, even if they are not on the surface.

-matt

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

We have that setup actually, a AR2412 use the expansion port to a AR168 and an AR84 on the surface expansion port.
    Also using Dante for multi track recording. Loving it!!

Profile photo of beartech
    beartech
    Participant

Hi Mrvoltz. We have the GLD-112 with the AR2412 & AR84. I want to add the 168, but I can only find the AB168 not an AR168. The AB168 looks like it will need to be modified to go in the rack. can you give me some guidance?

cornelius78
    Participant

IIRC the A&H don’t amke an AR168, only the AB168. However, there is a rack mounting kit for the AB168 sold separately (need to remove the rubber bumpers to install it; an official procedure, it’s not an un-authorized modification that voids your warranty or anything.)

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Sorry, my mistake, ours would be the AB168 (typo) we just have it sitting in place not in a rack. As mentioned it can be rack mounted.

Profile photo of millsie
    millsie
    Participant

I was just wondering if it was possible to go from the GLD’s dsnake socket > AB168 > AR2412? Or is AR2412 > AB168 the only supported configuration?

Thanks!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is the dSnake port at the GLD surface only capale of taking and AR0804?
    So is this local surface port limited to just the 8 channels and 4 return?
    OR is this configurable with lessor amounts going to the other main AR2408 and or AB168s’?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

DSnake on surface can be any box.

cornelius78
    Participant

@nzdave
    Not to be confused with the dSnake socket, the expander port on the GLD surface is limited to an AR84 (it can not take an AR2412\AB168.)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Oh I understand now.
    Bit lazy of me not actually looked at the rear of the GLD surface! I have looked I just have a lot going on … 😐

So the surface has an expander port!?

That says it all ok.
    Gosh that may have been an original oversight on A & H long term strategy?
    hmm The mind boggles…

Another question to a GLD newbie…
    Are there any insert cards for a GLD surface that will take a dSnake so there would be 2 dSnakes available from the GLD surface?

Thanks

NZdave

cornelius78
    Participant

Are there any insert cards for a GLD surface that will take a dSnake so there would be 2 dSnakes available from the GLD surface?

Nope, just ACE, MADI, Ethersound, Waves, Dante, MMO.

Using only the dSnake and Expander ports + local preamps you can have a maximum of 52x preamps: 24 from AR2412 connected to the dSnake socket, 16 from an AB168 daisy-chained off the AR2412, 8 from AR84 on the expander on the rear of the console, and 4x preamps on the rear of the console itself.) This configuration would also give you 12+8+4 analogue XLR outputs (+ the RCA, SPDIF and AES\EBU outputs.) If you wanted more analogue IO it would have to come via one of the previously mentioned expansion cards, eg using ACE to get signals from\to an iLive, or finding a preamp with MADI out etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.