dSNAKE and multiplepatch points…

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions dSNAKE and multiplepatch points…

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cmac
    cmac
    Participant

Hello,

I am currently designing a multipurpose area for a client and am new to “dSNAKE”. This is what I’ve come up with:

qty (1) QU-16 dSNAKE ————> qty (4) wallplates with RJ45 connector for dSNAKE ————> rack with qty (1) 10/100 dedicated Ethernet switch (unmanaged) ————> GLD-AR2412 ————> DSP

The idea is that this room will have multiple uses and the client wants as much flexibility with regards to configuration. So, at any given time there will only be qty (1) QU-16 “active”. There are just qty (4) different places to choose from that they can patch to in the room.

I am sure this has been done before but just wanted to confirm with someone that had more experience.

I have attached a .png pic for a better visual.

Thanks in advance!
    -Chris

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

As long as you use a Layer 2 Fast Ethernet switch you shouldn’t have any issue with this. Some Layer 3 protocols (typically found in managed / smart switches) might interfere with the dSNAKE traffic.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m not sure where to put this, so I’ll put it here, as it’s sort of relevant.

Since dSNAKE & the AR boxes are common to both the Qu & GLD desks, would it make sense for them to have their own area of the forum, like the ME boxes do?

Just a thought.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Nicola,

Sorry to resurrect this long since dead thread, but it was referred to in a current topic. This is quite interesting that you can do this. What about grounding issues with the cat5 cable? By utilizing the switch, can you use just a regular non-grounded cat5e cable?

Art

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

you mean unshielded…
    any normal (certified) CAT5e or better should do
    ground problems should not occur during normal operation

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Correct. Unshielded.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’m assuming that a couple of switches in there, and one hop over fibre, will still be fine 😉

We have REAC distributed like this at church

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.