Drum Compression as a subgroup channel QU16?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Drum Compression as a subgroup channel QU16?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hoody
    Hoody
    Participant

OK I admit it I am new to this desk QU16 and started using it straight out of the box. No problems so far however is it possible to put the drums into say a group then feed into another channel then compress and EQ and feed this back to the group rather like an aux feed into the drum mix?

Having come from analogue I do get the difference between DCA/VCA and subgroups, perhaps I am asking too much but I really thought at the price point it would be possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated if only to put me out of my misery!

Thank you in anticipation.

Hoody

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The Qu16 simply does not have groups as the larger ones (Qu24/Qu32/QuPac…) have. There’s another thread running on that topic including a maybe useable workaround here: Adding Routing tab to send Mixes to Mains

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You *could* sacrifice one of the mixes and loop back through the analogue domain – BUT you will introduce a small delay – and drums will inevitably be leaking into other channels, so you will get some phasing issues.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The delay from leaked mics is significantly larger than the internal two mSec. 2mSec is about two feet resp. 60cm, right?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s true of course.

I’ll engage brain at some point 😉

Worry about the routing, not the leakage

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

The problem is if you take this approach and have the individual drum channels also assigned to LR (eg for parallel compression.) Then the delay on the drum group when it gets summed with the individual drum channels in LR will result in comb filtering.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

That’s what I tried to express with: “You’ll get a delay of about 2mSec, so don’t mix the grouped signal with the original.” 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.