Driving GLD output

Forums Forums ME Forums ME general discussions Driving GLD output

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mervaka mervaka 9 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jdh28
    jdh28
    Participant

Is it possible to drive a GLD output from an ME-1 rather than local headphones?

At our church, we have several drummers, some of whom would prefer to use headphones rather than a wedge. I’m thinking of buying an ME-1 to drive headphones, but was wondering whether the ME-1 could easily be used for the others to drive their wedge without running an analogue signal back to the rack from the stage.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

The ME1 has a balanced 1/4″ TRS line level output you could use to feed a powered wedge. You could send 40 channels to the ME1 for the drummers to create their own mix and feed their powered wedges/IEMs, or you could use a mix or 2 on the GLD to create the drummers’ sound , and send that mix over a single channel (or 2 if it’s stereo) to the ME1, and the drummers then just have level and eq control.

Profile photo of jdh28
    jdh28
    Participant

We haven’t got powered wedges. The amps are in a backstage rack along with the AR2412. I was wondering if you could assign an AR2412 output to a ME-1 output digitally, but I guess not?

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

I was wondering if you could assign an AR2412 output to a ME-1 output digitally, but I guess not?

Nope, to do that you’d need to send the new mono or stereo mix created by an ME1 back up the same cat5 cable to the GLD. It would get especially difficult if you had multiple ME1s in the system, all wanting to send their unique 3 channels back to the GLD\iLive\Qu (somewhere on the A&H blog there’s an article about someone using 28x ME-1s at a time.) AFAIK the monitor bus on the GLD that feeds ME1s/avioms sends audio in one direction only.

To do what you’re wanting (feed a passive wedge from an ME1,) you’d have to go from the ME1 (analogue) output back to the amps. If you wanted more control you could go from the ME1 in/out of the GLD system (via console or AR, but there are extra AD/DA conversions + processing that may induce undesired latency) and if those are in the same rack as the amps you’re running the cable to almost the same position anyway, but either way you’d need to use the analogue output from the ME1. If you had an AR84 as a drop box at the drums this could be useful though. Another option would be to move the amp for the drummer’s wedge closer to the kit.

That said, you need to run cat5 from the AR to the Drummer’s ME1 anyway (or a couple of balanced cables from the AR to whatever headphone amp you end up buying, if not an ME1.) If you’re using passive wedges you’d need to run speaker cable from the amp to the wedge position as well, so there’s already 2 or three cables going from the drums to the amp rack, and that’s not including cables from whatever drum mics/e-drum brain you’re running from the drums to the AR. Getting the effect you want of an ME1 feeding a wedge (even though it is passive) only requires running 1x extra balanced cable going from the drum position to the rack alongside these pre-existing runs.

Perhaps just getting a normal headphone amp and an ipad if the drummer wants to mix himself could be a cheaper solution? Or just purchase ME-1 and an active wedge for the drummer.

HTH

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

You’d be better off running GLD OneMix from an iPad.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.