dLive with Dante for FoH

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions dLive with Dante for FoH

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of eotsskleet eotsskleet 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

I havn’t seen a picture of the back of the surfaces yet… Is it possible to insert a Dante-Card into the surface (not the mix rack) and use the Surface as FoH Console in combination with an iLive on Monitors with a Dante-Card? Processor might be in the dLive-Racks and not in the console!?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

doesn’t make it more sense to put the Dante card in the mixrack and split to the iLive?

as I understand it the I/O slots can handle legacy cards as well,
    so 3 I/O slots on the mixrack and 2 in the surface…

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

As with iLive, dLive mixracks contain the audio processing, no processing in the surface like GLD.

eotsskleet
    Participant

Yes well the case is that I already own a GLD including AR2412. I’m really happy with this unit, although if I want a FoH – Monitor Split it would be noce just to add a S5000 Surface and connect it by Dante! But that might then not work!?

SteffenR
    Participant

that makes no sense to me… to add the GLD to the dLive makes more sense to me, but will not be cheap

eotsskleet
    Participant

Well steffenromeiss, normally with a full integrated Dante System, the monitor mixer shares the input Gains of all the channels. Having a GLD-80 as Monitor Desk makes quite sense dosn’t it?
    So any other Board like iLive, dLive, CL5, Vi6, etc… Connnected by Dante to the Monitor-Desk could be an ultimative advantage compared to all the others Advantages?!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Sure the advantage of dLive is option to have expansion cards either in rack or in surface, it is convenient for DAW or Waves in FOH. For FOH/monitor split I would chose to have card into mixrack instead of surface.
    Eotsskleet- I hope you’re aware of fact the DSP of dLive is located into mixrack, not surface, so wherever you decide to install expansion card, you need the mixrack anyway.

ddff

SteffenR
    Participant

it still makes no sense to me to use the AR2412 with dLive
    GLD gets the signal over Dante from the dLive Mixrack
    thats it, AR2412 is not involved

eotsskleet
    Participant

I own already a GLD system
    Including rack… I’m wondering now if i I really need to buy a dLive Surface (like the S5000) “AND” the dLive Mixrack to achieve a FoH-Mon Split! Or if the S5000 Surface has any DSP Power as well to use up to a specific amount of channels for processing!
    I think the Surface will have as well a few Input-Slots on the back and these Inputs might use an internal DSP built in the surface for processing!? So if this DSP is capable of processing up to 44CH, then would my GLD-dLive Split work and I don’t need to buy a dLive Mixrack! 😉
    Probably not possible but I would like to know the limits in such a setup!

Profile photo of MJCElectronics
    MJCElectronics
    Participant

As has been stated above, dLive just like iLive has ZERO DSP processing in the surface.
    Without a MixRack the surface is just an impressive looking hunk of metal.

The MixRack IS the mixer and is esssential to get anything to work but size doesn’t matter in terms of processing capability, the only difference is the number of analogue inputs and outputs.
    Think of the surface on these systems as a giant remote control with some audio I/O, nothing more.

SteffenR
    Participant
      the console surface has no processing

5 posts in this thread saying exactly that, dLive could be the wrong path for your needs
    the dLive is not intended to build an addendum to GLD

the only way to combine thes two ist to link it with multichannel digital audio (MADI, DANTE, Ethersound, a.s.o.)

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If you own a GLD system why not just get another GLD say a 112 and DANTE cards for both and be done with it.

eotsskleet
    Participant

Ok ok.. I understand that it’s not intended to work like this… I just thought about save some money by just buying the S5000… But it might be the whole system that I gonna buy then… S5000 and DM48 plus a DANTE card 😉 start saving some money till September 🙂

eotsskleet
    Participant

Just had a look at following chart:
    It looks like there are up to 2 expansion slots in the dLive Surfaces and 3Slots in the Mixracks… Could jt still not be that the surface without the mixrack can be used? Or are these 2 slots just working when a mixrack is connected? (I could compare it with an USB-Slot at an external PC Monitor which only can be used if a computer is connected to the monitor…! But why should you need 5extension card-slots?
    Can maybe someone from A&H clarify what’s actually
    Possible and what’s not?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

The surface cannot process audio; you must have a rack somewhere in the system.

The surface connects to the rack with the dedicated GigaACE link, so there are always 5 I/O slots left for expansion in a simple ‘rack and surface’ system.

Hope that clarifies it.

– Jeff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.