dLive vs. SQ

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JAK JAK 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JAK
    JAK
    Participant

Hello,
    I am looking to replace my GLD112 and am looking at the SQ7 and a dLiveC3500. I manage a 600 seat theater that does hosts lectures, rock concerts, musicals, etc… from high school bands to professional bands. I know the price difference is significant but I might be able to swing that into my budget if it’s worth it. If you had the opportunity, why would (or why wouldn’t) you choose the dLive over the SQ?

If necessary, the rest of our sound system is excellent, Martin MLA mini with flown subs. Experience level with sound is medium… I have experience but I can always learn new things.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

first question is what/how much you need/want…

inputs, outputs
    auxilliaries, subgroups, matrix, master (LCR, LR mono, 5.1)
    FX
    Faders

Profile photo of Andrien
    Andrien
    Participant

Coming from GLD80 to SQ6, UI wise in my opinion Dlive is more similar to GLD than SQ. Sound wise I am not sure as I use Dlive Stagebox on the SQ but with SQ you can use your GLD stagebox with it thus you have that flex/redudancy in the future with your old equipment. You can’t use both DLive and GLD stagebox together tho (atleast without additional SLink card afaik).
    A bit of caution, it seems that DLive has a bit of lag post starting up, but mostly ok afterwards.

Feature wise SQ has quite a number of missing feature compared to GLD such as multiband compressor. It may be possible to be added by AH in the future, but the way they go with SQ it seems that you need to purchase it as plugin and as of now there is no possibility to move the serial into other SQ so it stuck with the board. DLive seems to have all that features added for free in every firmware upgrade.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

The SQ is positioned between the QU and the GLD. It has less features, not that flexible bus management and also less effects, especially no really insert effects like transient designer, multiband compressors, dynamic eqs. For me the SQ is the better QU but far away from being a replacement of the GLD.
    The dLive is a bigger GLD with more of everything. More channels, more buses, more effects, and more other features. And of course a modern architecture. Since there is no real successor of the GLD available I would see the step to the dLive the more logical way. I did this step from a GLD80 to a C2500 with a CDM mixrack. I also own a SQ6 for smaller, low budget jobs but when I work with it I always run into the limitations. I know that A&H introduced with the SQ a new plugin concept where you can buy plugin license for a single SQ desk. But for the current limitations, each desk needs an own license for that plugin, and the price point of the current plugins I am not willing to buy for that. It is simply too expensive imho.

For the types of shows, especially musical work, I see also a disadvantage in the current scene and show management on the SQ. On the SQ you cannot create cue lists from the scenes, there are only global recall safes instead of safes per scene.
    So, if money is not that big thing, I would go the dLive route.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

second question

wich additional features you need?
    cue list, scene managment, dual surface mode and so on

Profile photo of JAK
    JAK
    Participant

Thanks for the insight! I love the GLD and am sad that is’s been discontinued. It has served us well. I hadn’t heard about the lag issue with the dLive, I have a vendor coming in to do a demo on the 18th and will ask about that. We run into spots where flexibility is critical, the GLD features have suited us nicely. We do a lot of cue/scene stuff here. Scene features are huge, the safe stuff has saved (and killed) me many times. I/O flexibility is a necessity, we have multiple positions where we place performers/ equipment. My fears are that the SQ series is a too-reduced GLD and would leave me wanting. I have been using my laptop along with my GLD but want to get into a more realistic dual surface mode, I want to have a dedicated monitor mixer in line but have been told that isn’t possible with digital world (aside from splitting to multiple boxes).

Profile photo of Bill in TN
    Bill in TN
    Participant

Last year at our Church I upgraded all our mixing with SQ consoles in Youth and Fellowship areas (great fit there) and dLive in the Sanctuary(could not be happier). While the specs seem similar for processing the capability and user experience is nothing close. Just from what you describe, size of the house and variety of situations, I would strongly argue that you want at minimum the C3500. You need to consider you total needs and determine if the CDM or DM Mix Rack is right for you. We also use a IP8 for our fixed monitor adjustments and it handles any combination of aux sends and channels up to 48 I think. So that can be there for the basics and use director for the more detailed needs.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

JAK, the dLive is going to be much better suited for your needs according to what you describe. The workflow is nearly identical to that of the GLD, whereas the SQ is more like the Qu and not nearly as flexible.

As far as the lag issue, it is the same one that the GLD has where when one of the function keys “Setup”, “I/O”, “FX”, “Scenes”, etc are pressed the screen load is delayed when you first visit it. Subsequent visits are instantaneous, so this isn’t really a big deal at all. The dLive’s lag is slightly longer than the GLD’s but again, not a big deal. I just go to each of the screens after startup and then the lag is gone from that point onward.

Profile photo of JAK
    JAK
    Participant

Thanks, Scott! I understand the lag issue now and am less concerned. I have a QU to some of our smaller events and I find the same thing, I feel like I need to re-orient my head in order to work with the QU. It sounds like the dLive is the way to go for us.

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Go dLive. Aside from the extreme flexibility in configuration and workflows, you won’t have to think about how to just squeeze one more thing in.

One item that I quickly got spoiled on is show saves. SQ you get to save everything to USB. dLive saves on the surface, optional transfer to USB. Easy to bounce between different shows or repeat one from a year ago.

Jay

Profile photo of JAK
    JAK
    Participant

Thanks to everyone. Our dealer brought in a demo model and I was sold within 15 minutes. I was just approved to move forward with the dLive C3500, a CDM32, and a DX16/8! I am pretty excited.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.